The Mystery of the Baked Potato

• Valiant Gardeners,

A new and strange mystery has appeared among the plants: The Baked Potato !

Once a completely ordinary purple potato plant, when Shelybear let it out of her sight, it somehow, well, got cooked. Or rather, baked. How did that happen ?! A delicious little secret that many a connoisseur would like to know.
    So let us start a quest to find it !

Theory I:
    The Baked Potato is just another variant of the potato tubers you can find in the wild garden.
    Current Knowledge: Shelybear did an experiment with parentless potatoes (her Experiment #4). Out of 87 tubers only the mysterious one became a Baked Potato.
    So just picking up a tuber from the wild garden probably isn't it.

Theory II:
    The Baked Potato is a breed-only variant.
    Current Knowledge: EmeraldsLyn started a collection of bred potatoes. Out of 21 specimens none became Baked (the other three variants were obtained, though), then the collection was closed.
    This doesn't look like a very promising angle, but it might bear further investigation (21 samples isn't that much, after all).

Theory III:
    The Baked Potato behaves similar to the Biting Dandelion: You either get it very rarely by breeding, or after growing a certain number of potatoes your next potato plant spontaneously turns into a Baked Potato.
    Current Knowledge: Let's see how many potatoes people have grown so far. If the maximum is too high (and didn't summon a spontaneous mutation of an existing plant) we probably could rule this one out as well.
    Edit: With as many as 36 in one garden and no baking so far this doesn't look very promising either...

Theory IV:
    It has something to do with gifting/trading the plant in question.
    Current Knowledge: Well, the Mysterious Baked Potato did change owners repeatedly. And as far as I understood even changed appearances while doing so. Perhaps the people involved could summarise its journey and forms ?
    Trading/gifting grown potato plants sounds like a promising next step.

Theory V+:
    Freak accident ? Something else entirely ? You tell me. ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What to do

If you want to help in our quest to solve the riddle, do this:
    - First of all: if you manage to get hold of a Baked Potato let us know (and preferably let us know how you did it) !!!
    - Is there a thread going that does a "breed-only" collection for potatoes ? If so, let me know. If not: Post your bred potatoes here with the annotation "Bred Potato" to mark them and the BBCode so I can add them more easily.
    - How many potatoes have you raised in your garden (raised by youself, not gotten as a mature plant from elsewhere) without getting a Baked Potato ? Tell me and mark it with "Theory III" (or "Theory 3" if you don't like Roman numbers ;) ).
    - When you trade or gift grown potatoes (and it would help if you did that), post it here, using the following form:
    Old Owner: name of the person the plant came from
    Grown or Received: write "grown" if you were the one who grew the plant from its tuber, write "received" if you got it when it was already fully grown
    Old Variant: variant of potato the plant was before it was traded/gifted away and the BBCode
    New Owner: name of the person that got the plant
    New Variant: variant of potato the plant was after it was traded/gifted away and the BBCode
    And here once more for copy/pasting:
    Old Owner:
    Grown or Received:
    Old Variant:
    New Owner:
    New Variant:

[size=12]If you have any more, or better, ideas how to go about this - speak up and we'll listen !
    I'll try to keep this up to date, but I'm not sure how much time I will have to do that.

[size=12]So - onwards, valiant gardeners, to solve the mystery of the Baked Potato !

Edited 7 times, last by ChevalierDeLis (August 17, 2015 at 11:31 AM).

• Updates

Theory III: number of potatoes raised so far

truelinor: 7, all parentless
    MiaSkywalker: 15, all parentless
    idril: 20, bred and parentless
    Mimmu: 30, bred and parentless
    Alia: 36, most of them bred

Theory IV: gifting/trading the plants

Here is the history of the one existing Baked Potato:

And here are other trades/gifts that were done:

idril: gifted a few plants away, exchanged a potato with various members
    Jedi: traded a few plants
    Mimmu: gifted some plants

Examples:
    Mimmu -> Jedi
    Mimmu -> Jedi -> EmeraldsLyn -> Jedi -> EmeraldsLyn -> Jedi

So far - no further baking.

New Theory by Alia:

My theory - the appearance of this one baked potato was a glitch (perhaps our admin was testing something?) and in fact there will be an event in the nearest future when we will be able to get a baked potato. Maybe something connected with the beginning of autumn?

Edited 8 times, last by ChevalierDeLis (August 31, 2015 at 11:48 AM).

• Theory III: Raised a total of 20 potatoes, bred and parentless. Already gifted a few. Didn´t get a potato seed.
    (With the dandelions you get a parcel from the post pixi with the special seed after 15 raised dandelions). Expect it is more with the potato...

Theory IV: Exchanged a potato with various members. Nothing happend, but maybe it only happens occational.. Also those I randomly gifted away are still the same.

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• Theory III - I have 36 fully-grown potatoes, most of them are bred, no baked one so far.

My theory - the appearance of this one baked potato was a glitch (perhaps our admin was testing something?) and in fact there will be an event in the nearest future when we will be able to get a baked potato. Maybe something connected with the beginning of autumn?

Edited once, last by Alia (August 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM).

• Thanks to everyone for the help so far !

Alia:
    Hm, that theory sounds interesting. It surely would explain why nothing else has worked so far. The only thing that bothers me is why Shelybear's potato changed appearance once it left and re-entered her garden. But an experimenting admin probably explains that as well...

• Whoaaa...

Uhm..No no there's another thing that bothers me and I'd like to ask @agajol. According to the 'history' of this potato, the first giftee was agajol, but she said it was a normal (purple) one when at her garden. So has is already changed to baked one when still at my garden?

-Currently learning German-
    <3

• Whoaaa...

Uhm..No no there's another thing that bothers me and I'd like to ask @agajol. According to the 'history' of this potato, the first giftee was agajol, but she said it was a normal (purple) one when at her garden. So has is already changed to baked one when still at my garden?

1. You started the thread with purple potato
    2. It changed to the baked version
    3. I took it
    4. After a few minutes in my garden it changed to the purple version
    5. I gave it back
    6. It changed back to the baked version

• Fascinating. Has this ever happened before??
    Well, I have 3 potato variants and no question mark in the compendium. I tend to agree with Alia that the Baked Potato was a glitch, but maybe it will become a feature at some point.