Spelling mistakes / Rechtschreibfehler

• I'm afraid there are quite a lot of mistakes in the description of the new tomato plant. Here is my version of the text, with mistakes corrected.
    Tomatoes originate from Central and South America. Since about 200 BC, they have been cultivated by humans. In 1500 they came to Europe. The first varieties that arrived in Europe had yellow fruit and hardly anybody wanted to try them for fear of poisoning themselves.

• Is there somewhere to sign up for translations and proofreading? I saw the topics for new texts and new translations but I never see any posts. Since I can't donate at the moment, I'd like to help is a small way with translations and proofreading.

On forum hiatus due to new job (but I'm still playing), may still be found on Dragon Cave forum.

• I'm afraid there are quite a lot of mistakes in the description of the new tomato plant. Here is my version of the text, with mistakes corrected.
    Tomatoes originate from Central and South America. Since about 200 BC, they have been cultivated by humans. In 1500 they came to Europe. The first varieties that arrived in Europe had yellow fruit and hardly anybody wanted to try them for fear of poisoning themselves.

One small thing here - on this sentence "Since about 200 BC, they are cultivated by humans." For proper English grammar it should be "They have been cultivated by humans since about 200 BC." or "They have been under cultivation since about 200 BC." Hmmm and this "Tomatoes originates from Central and South America" could be "Tomatoes originated in Central and South America"

Is there somewhere to sign up for translations and proofreading? I saw the topics for new texts and new translations but I never see any posts. Since I can't donate at the moment, I'd like to help is a small way with translations and proofreading.

You can always start here. When you see a mistake post it and its correction. If there are ambiguities we sometimes discuss it. When a consensus is reached the corrections are made and the related posts are deleted. It tends to keep this topic short that way. So feel free to jump in any time :)

Back to the treasure hunt - moar stuff to fix.

Display Spoiler

Magpie: Fortunately we don't have problems with treasure hunters by this weather.
    Magpie: Fortunately we don't have problems with treasure hunters in this weather.

Raven: Correct! No one will stay outside by this weather.
    Raven: Correct! No one will stay outside in this weather.

Magpie: Especially not, when they have to go to this spooky castle, where the evil wizard lives.
    Magpie: Especially not when they have to go to this spooky castle where an evil wizard lives.
    Commas unnecessary

Raven: But when the magician is ready with them, we get a nice meal.
    Raven: But when the wizard is done with them, we get a nice meal.
    Wizard and magician are similar terms but it should be one or the other, not both.

I need more information about this castle. Eventually the magpie knows more.
    I need more information about this castle. Evidently the magpie knows more.

Magpie: Informations about the castle you want? Ok, bring me something glistening, then I will tell you more. I would word this as:
    Magpie: You want information about the castle? Ok, bring me something shiny, then I will tell you more. Glisten implies something that shines by virtue of being wet or greasy, shiny is more directly what would attract a magpie's attention.

Eventually I have something suitable with me.
    Evidently I have something suitable with me.

A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing anyone can have.
    A towel, it is said, is about the most massively useful thing anyone can have.

Hopefully, the chocolate bar paper is glistening enough for the magpie.
    Hopefully the chocolate bar paper is shiny enough for the magpie.

Damned, it doesn't hear me anymore, eventually the raven can tell me more.
    Damn, it doesn't respond anymore, maybe the raven can tell me more.
    Or possibly omit the 4 letter word and just make it
    It doesn't respond anymore, maybe the raven can tell me more.
    Depends on how PG you want to be.

Raven: The water fay lives in the castle well. Prepare yourself to all kinds of danger to reach it.
    Raven: The water fay lives in the castle well. Prepare yourself for all kinds of danger to reach it.

Nails, someone want to repair the bridge.
    Nails, someone wanted to repair the bridge.

It seems as if someone has try to repair the bridge with these planks. But they are to thin for that.
    It seems as if someone tried to repair the bridge with these planks, but they are too thin for that.

more later

• You can always start here. When you see a mistake post it and its correction. If there are ambiguities we sometimes discuss it. When a consensus is reached the corrections are made and the related posts are deleted. It tends to keep this topic short that way. So feel free to jump in any time :)

Ah okay. I just thought it would be easier to have a correct text from the beginning instead of going back afterwards and fixing errors one by one.

On forum hiatus due to new job (but I'm still playing), may still be found on Dragon Cave forum.

• The description of Christmas wreath sprouts: "Are there even still Yuletide Lads, which losing up their caps during their bustling festive preparations?" -> should be "Are there really Yuletide Lads, who lose their caps during their bustling festive preparations? "

Fully grown Christmas wreath: "Made out of fragrant pine branches, a candle and some Christmas balls an Advent wreath, to bring into the house the final festive mood." -> should be: "An Advent wreath, made out of fragrant pine branches, a candle and some Christmas balls, brings the definitive festive mood into the house.

• I was trying to find an English equivalent of "endgultig" in the German version but you may be right and it would probably sound best without any adjective.

Ah. Since I do not speak German (or any other language other than English) I didn't realize you were trying to do that. I'm glad to see froglady has added an alternative translation which seems to meet everyone's approval! :D

• Actually, endgultig is probably closer to "finishing touch", but the phrase "adds the finishing touch to the festive mood of the house" didn't strike me as exactly what was meant. Though it would be appropriate and closest to the German.

• Description of chives:
    "It is not clear, if he originated in Central Europe, Central Asia, or in the Mediterenean, but he is practicaly at home everywhere in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. Wild chive thrives on poriferous, eutrophic and humid soil and flowers from Mai to August. He proliferate through bulbils and seeds."

Should be:
    "It is not clear if it originated in Central Europe, Central Asia, or in the Mediterranean, but it is practically at home everywhere in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. Wild chive thrives on poriferous, eutrophic and humid soil and flowers from May to August. It propagates through bulbs and seeds.

And Forget-me-not:
    "Even to the pixies this flower is very popular. The small folk uses its magic at weddings, placeing wreathes of flowers around their necks thus binding themselfs in fidelity to each other. In addition are it's blue blossoms a symbol of kind remembrance and partings in love, wherefore, in remembrance of Nephele, every house is adorned by at least one forget-me-not at present."

Should be:
    "Even for the pixies this flower is very popular. The small folk uses its magic at weddings, placing wreathes of flowers around their necks, thus binding themselves in fidelity to each other. In addition, its blue blossoms are a symbol of kind remembrance and partings in love, therefore, in remembrance of Nephele, every house is adorned by at least one forget-me-not at present."

• I would make one further suggestion.

"It is not clear if it originated in Central Europe, Central Asia, or in the Mediterranean, but it is practically at home everywhere in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. Wild chive thrives on poriferous, eutrophic and humid soil and flowers from May to August. It propagates through bulbs and seeds."

"It is not clear if it originated in Central Europe, Central Asia, or in the Mediterranean, but it is practically at home everywhere in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. Wild chives thrive on poriferous, eutrophic and humid soil and flowers from May to August. It propagates through bulbs and seeds."

Either that, or:
    "It is not clear if it originated in Central Europe, Central Asia, or in the Mediterranean, but it is practically at home everywhere in the temperate zone of the northern hemisphere. The wild chive thrives on poriferous, eutrophic and humid soil and flowers from May to August. It propagates through bulbs and seeds."

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• And now the chive sprout:
    "n the seventeenth century an apothecary thought, he would disturb sleep and impair sight. Only the special request of a country nobleman made him inscribe it into his herbal book."

Should be:
    "In the seventeenth century an apothecary thought it would disturb sleep and impair sight. Only a special request of a country nobleman made him include it in his herbal book."

• Description of Love-lies-bleeding.
    In south america love-lies-bleeding is knowen as Kiwicha, a word from one of the Inka languages, the Quecha.
    In South America love-lies-bleeding is known as Kiwicha, a word from one of the Inka languages, the Quecha.

The name amaranth is greece and means: „amárantos“ unfading, „ánthos“ flower. Due to it's religious importance to the Aztecs the pseudocereal was more valuable then gold.
    The name amaranth is Greek and means: „amárantos“ unfading, „ánthos“ flower. Due to its religious importance to the Aztecs the pseudocereal was more valuable than gold.

It's been accredited to the magic powers of slowing ageing and strenghening health and stamina. It stayed that way up till 1560 when the spanish conquistadors arived.
    It's been attributed the magic powers of slowing aging and improving health and stamina. It stayed that way up till 1560 when the Spanish conquistadors arrived.

This resulted into a famine with over 10 million casualties. Even after lifting the ban the plant was almost forgotten for hundreds of years.
    This resulted in famine with over 10 million casualties. Even after the ban was lifted, the plant was almost forgotten for hundreds of years.

Edited once, last by Alia (September 8, 2016 at 7:47 PM).

• And sprout:

Amaranth is counted to the oldest crop plants of humanity, because seeds are accounted for in almost 9000 year old graves.
    Amaranth is counted among the oldest crop plants of humanity, because its seeds have been found in almost 9000-year-old graves.

Next to corn and quinoa, amaranth-seeds was staple food to the Aztecs, Inca, and Maya.
    Apart from corn and quinoa, amaranth seeds were staple food for the Aztecs, Incas, and Mayas.

Amaranth is botanically a pseudocereal. To bake bread, grains that contain gluten has to be added. The pixies like to roast the seeds till the pop and nibble them like popcorn.
    Botanically, amaranth is a pseudocereal. To bake bread, grains that contain gluten have to be added. The pixies like to roast the seeds till they pop and nibble them like popcorn.