Show Us Your Home Grown Flowers!

• I don't know if there is a thread already like this, but I thought it would be neat for us to show each other flowers that we have either in our gardens or plants that are house plants since this board is all about flowers. ^^

To start us off, here are a couple of flowers from my yard - the first one is an azalea bush and the next is a Wisteria vine.

Edited once, last by truelinor: Changing images to thumbnail size. (August 17, 2011 at 2:30 AM).

• Nice flowers, Truelinor and Alia! I wish that I could grow morning glories, which I guess are also called Ipomoea...my mom won't let me because they're invasive. I also love wisteria...My friend has some and it smells wonderful!
    Here are some of my flowers. Sorry if they have bad picture quality, I'm just getting the hang of my camera

These are my California poppies. They're all wilted now, but they were great while they lasted.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.usThese are my love-in-the-mists. They're wilted now, too.

Some Grape hyacinths

I seem to have allowed a dandelion to go to seed...

A Pansy

An Iris

I speak English. I do not know how to speak German, so I use a translator. I am sorry if it's hard to understand the translation./ Ich spreche Englisch. Ich kann nicht Deutsch sprechen, also benutze ich einen Übersetzer. Es tut mir leid, wenn es schwierig ist, die Übersetzung zu verstehen.

Edited 2 times, last by SnowPlow (August 14, 2011 at 10:43 PM).

• Oh these are al SO beutiful!! I have a few herbs in my gerden, but my irises and geraniums etc. are out of bloom...

Though here is a picture I took of some iris flowers my mom and I cliped and put in a vase

(please wait, I have to upload it first)

yea, I heard that morning glories are banned in arizona (I live in the US) because they are invasive

I joined flowergame on June 28, 2011
    I'm sorry to say that I don't speak German. I use a translator, so I'm sorry if it is inaccurate./Es tut mir leid zu sagen, dass ich kein Deutsch spreche. Ich benutze einen Übersetzer, so tut mir leid, wenn es ungenau ist.

Edited 2 times, last by masterkat6 (August 16, 2011 at 1:14 AM).

• Very pretty flowers everyone! I love morning glories - and I don't think they are banned here in North Carolina. You have so many different colors too, Alia! I love them! And Snowplow - I have never seen love-in-the-mists growing before - those are very pretty flowers! Very elegant vase for those irises, masterkat6! ^^

Wisteria can take over, that's for sure! Take a loo!

Here's another flower - I have several of these bushes around the house - can't remember what they are called. ?(

Edited 3 times, last by truelinor: To add images (August 17, 2011 at 2:34 AM).

• Love-in-the-mist is also popular here, I used to grow it in my parents' garden. It also has a lot of colour varieties and its seeds can be added to bread or cookies.

Really? I had no idea that their seeds were edible! What do they taste like?

I speak English. I do not know how to speak German, so I use a translator. I am sorry if it's hard to understand the translation./ Ich spreche Englisch. Ich kann nicht Deutsch sprechen, also benutze ich einen Übersetzer. Es tut mir leid, wenn es schwierig ist, die Übersetzung zu verstehen.

• I see you have photobucket too - you can forget what I said in the pm! lol

Pretty flowers! And I love your white fence. Cute squirrel - and he has his own picnic table, how cute! ^^

I did not know that either, SnowPlow, about the seeds! Very interesting, Alia!

• *dusts another thread*

I don´t have a garden, but here are the plants I have in my flat.... not many.

the African violet is blooming right now. :)

my Aloe Vera is always growing like a weed. ^^

an Agave I got from my cousin. It´s not growing so well, I have to repot sometime...

That´s al for now. I´d like to stock up on some herbs in the future. :)

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• I should take a picture of our back yard. My mother is the gardener in our family; I'm a brown thumb. We don't have any house plants other than a bamboo, because the majority of plants are poisonous to cats and they WILL chew on them!

But our yard has all sorts of beautiful plants and flowers growing, because my mother is quite good at that sort of thing. :)

I had an African violet once. It died pretty quickly. :( I had always wondered why my friend gave it to me, knowing how bad I am with plants. (Although I suppose he didn't know that at the time.)

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• I should take a picture of our back yard. My mother is the gardener in our family; I'm a brown thumb. We don't have any house plants other than a bamboo, because the majority of plants are poisonous to cats and they WILL chew on them!

We are planning on getting a cat and we have some plants around the house - like ferns and the African violet I mentioned earlier. I didn't realize they were poisonous to cats! :/

• Actually, there are more plants that ARE poisonous to cats than AREN'T. We found that out when one of my sister's cats died from eating part of a plant in her house. She was devastated. She found a list of what plants are poisonous to cats (there are more that are dangerous to cats than to humans), and then she went into her yard and pulled out a bunch of plants that were out there and threw them away, because many of her neighbors' cats hang out in her yard, and she didn't want them getting poisoned by nibbling her plants. (My sister loves wildlife so much that not only does she not put out traps for animals who eat her plants and damage anything in her yard, but she has been known to put food out for things like racoons and squirrels and bears. She says that THEY lived there before SHE did, so she isn't going to chase them away.)

Cats don't hang out in our yard (birds and bunnies do though) so we've never worried about what's in our yard. But if you're concerned, you might do an online search. I don't know where she found the list, but the fact is, the list of what is NOT poisonous is actually shorter than the list that IS, so you might actually look for that.

Bamboo is safe, and so are some air plants (I had an air plant that my cat ate, it was before I knew plants could be dangerous for cats), and so is grass. But many plants are not safe. It's definitely a good idea to check into it before getting a cat. I think the African violet may be one of the dangerous ones, but you'll want to check on that to be sure.

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• Hmm, my parents have a big garden with all kind of plants. They also have cats, who roam free around the whole proberty (and around the neighbourhood). But I can´t remember ever having seen one of our cats, and we had many, nibble on any other plants than plain gras. That said, our cats were and still are barn cats, that live mainly outside, and some are even half wild, and are hardly let inside the house. Maybe they know better which plants are good for them and which not, than a housecat. :|

Maybe it´s just an question of how and were you keep your cat...and what the cat is used to.

You could try buying those special catgrasses they offer.

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• The cat grasses are all safe. :) I think grass in general is safe, but I could be wrong. The last cat I had (she passed away at 19 years) refused to eat cat grass, but always ate any plants I tried to grow, which is probably part of why I view myself as a brown thumb. Apparently I always bought cat-safe plants, because she was always fine!

There's also a possibility that some cats have a better constitution than others. That's a bit hard to believe, however, if a plant is actually "poisonous". It MIGHT be, however, that where you live doesn't tend to have those kinds of plants growing wild. I really do not know.

I just remember that when my sister looked at the list of plants that weren't safe, she was very upset, because she had owned one of those, and her cat had chewed on it all the time. Then it died rather abruptly and with a great deal of distress, which leads my sister to believe that it was poisoned from eating that plant.

It could also be the amount the cat eats of it, and certain balances within the plant. It's hard to say what factors are involved. But I personally don't want to risk it. I love my kitties too much to ever want to risk one of them to getting poisoned by a plant!

94911.pngKokpD.gif