Show Us Your Home Grown Flowers!

• Well, this is good to know.

We are getting a house cat and it won't be outside, just inside, so I guess I don't have to worry about the plants outside. But I will look into the ones we have and make sure they are either out of reach or gone before we get the cat!

• Hahahahahaha! Don't count on 'out of reach' to cut it! My cats climb EVERYWHERE in my house, which surprises everyone, because none of our previous cats were climbers. It was funny when the white one jumped from an end table, to a short bookshelf, to a taller bookshelf, to an even taller bookshelf, then jumped over the gaps between the tallest bookshelves in my study (they reach all the way to the ceiling), and then knocked a whole bunch of books onto my desk, knocking everything over and a lot of the stuff on my desk (and the books) onto the floor! This happened while I was asleep, so when I came in the next morning and my study was trashed. I just laughed and cleaned it up, although I couldn't reach the top bookshelf that they had knocked the books from, and I put them elsewhere.

My father would have been angry. One time Cassie tried to climb onto his tallest bookshelf, but she thought she could use the lights witch as a stepping-stone. He was suddenly surprised by the light turning off in his study and he yelled at her. Poor kitty got scared and zoomed out of there, and I had to point out to my father that she was just being a cat. Getting angry doesn't accomplish anything but it scares the cat and makes her afraid of him.

They like to climb to the tops of EVERYTHING in every room, and Cassie is constantly pondering the tallest furniture in each room to try to figure out how to get up there. (She has yet to figure out the cabinets in the living room, and we worry that she'll succeed, because they're made of a lot of glass.)

So just a warning - putting the plants high might NOT be a solution! :) Depends on the cat, but just saying. :)

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• I think the problem is that the shelf was pretty full. I wasn't awake at the time, and I *think* it was Clawdia (the white one), but if it was Cassie, she's not exactly... graceful. She's a ragamuffin, and they're known for their clumsiness. When she tries to jump from one location to another, she's as apt to miss it as not. Clawdia never misses; she's very coordinated and graceful. Neither of them is particularly mischievous, but they are both very young, so sometimes they do things without realizing the consequences.

My father seems to think that you can reason with them. They're CATS. You can't reason with a cat. :)

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• They're beautiful, walkinslow! Are the ones on the end going to bloom too?

I think they will. :) The one on the left has already grown a flower stem. The one on the right isn't an orchid, but it has a similar florescence.
    The orchids are all Phalaenopsis. I don't have any really delicate ones (some species need a hothouse and a lot of special care), but I like the Phalaenopsis because they bloom so reliably.

• Nice orchids. :D

Over the Easter holidays I was home at my parents and I relieved them of some plants. :D Herbs mostly, but I also got 2 tomato saplings and 2 sweet pepper saplings from my dad. I want to try if I get them to grow on my balcony. :/

Will post some pics later.

And this weekend is the plant market at the Botanical garden. Maybe I´ll find that Siberian pepper there. :)

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• pun intended? ;)

i have a terrible brown thumb, unfortunately. and no space in the apartment for pots... however there is this one plant from easter 2013 (i think it's an easter lily??) that has survived very well and is starting to outgrow its pot; i'll get a picture tomorrow, maybe. i guess it really shows that i don't know much about plants!! :o

• Yes, pun intended. :D

Oh, can't wait to see your photo, Emeraldis! (Sly reminder. ;))

Just came back from the market.
    I found the Siberian pepper. :D And a Vietnamese Chilli too. Additionally I bought oregano, chives, chervil and a green-red basil. :)

I had a herb garden last year! I wasn't going to this year, but you've got me wanting to again!!! :D We'll see! :D

• The only thing I have room for right now...

From left to right: lemon balm, thyme and rosemary.

Note the difference between the first two (organic) and the rosemary (non-organic). And yet some people say buying organic is a waste of money... :rolleyes:

On forum hiatus due to new job (but I'm still playing), may still be found on Dragon Cave forum.