Raising seed limit during events

• I think the problem is that for many of us, the ONLY trees we got in our first batch of seeds were old variants. If we want the new ones, we only have about 2 out of 6 chances of it, since you've made it so that the old variants are available in the garden. This is the first time (other than Halloween) where this has been the case, so it's frustrating. I don't WANT more of the old variants; if I did, I would simply breed for them. I want the NEW variants, but since there's such a small chance, I probably won't get them.

I don't really want more seed slots, but I DO want a higher chance of the new seeds being the new variants. And that's not what I'm seeing.

I agree, I'm finding this event more frustrating than fun because of this.

My 'problem' is the opposite. I want more burning trees, so I breed a seed and it turned out to be a new variant...

• I have to disagree. The number of event plants is, in my opinion, getting out of hand, and I've been with the game long enough that I actually have an almost-complete compendium. I can't imagine how discouraging it must look to a newcomer -- if I were thinking of joining the game now, I'd probably decide not to just on the basis of how impossible it would be to catch up, and just based on how many of the dormant gardens went inactive with event plants in them, I know a lot of people leave in frustration during events.

Even as an established player, picking up the seeds and just getting the same old trees I already have (and knowing that my chances of trading for the new ones are probably nil because everybody's going to be trying to trade for them) is really dispiriting and not in keeping with the festive mood of the game. Two new trees and a new Christmas Star? Really? At least we have a decent amount of time this month (my big gripe about Halloween this year) but still. There's a difference between a challenge and a Herculean task, and we're already on that line, IMO.

Maybe if there were some way to tell what we're getting, or what the rules are, I wouldn't be getting so frustrated. But there was no logic behind the way the flaming trees virtually disappeared last year -- if things had been handled in keeping with the Jack-o-Lantern policy, all of the previous year's trees should have been breed-only and not just that one -- or why this year there are two new trees. The type of flower that you're going to get doesn't even seem to be encoded into the seed but randomized at the time that a plant becomes full-grown, based on the way many really old heathers in the Garden Helpers click-thread grew up to be the brand-new variety. The result is that there's no challenge or technique to the game other than just filling your pots as quickly as you can and hoping for the best. :( And with the overabundance of breeds, it's not enough pots anymore.

Sorry... this is really just bugging me. I've enjoyed the game a lot but lately it's become a source of frustration instead of a source of fun. The odds have just gotten way too skewed. :(

That is exactly the thing at which I was aiming, but I never could express it good enough I think.

• Schade, dass bei solch komplexen Posts das Verstehen nicht gelingen will. Ich lese Gegensätze, kann aber die Ansichten nicht zuordnen. Bereits idril's kurzer Beitrag ist für mich kritisch. Ich lese Bedauern, dass sie alte Varianten bekam aber nur neue benötigt. Dann klingt es mit dem Eventstart im Juli wie im krassen Gegensatz ironisch gesprochen. Gefällt ihr ihre Situation, und sie wollte über die Anliegen von verlängerten Event-Zeiten bissele spötteln?

^ THIS.

My first batch of x-mas trees turned all out the old variant.... but I don´t need the old variants anymore, I want the new ones. ;(
    If this is going on like this, when do they want to start the x-mas event in the future? In July?

Ganz ähnlich, aber ohne belustigt zu sein ist auch mein Eindruck zu Ardaths Post.

[align=center]

• "I don't really want more seed slots, but I DO want a higher chance of the new seeds being the new variants. And that's not what I'm seeing."

I agree with MiaSkywalker. I think if the percentage of getting the newer trees were a little higher, perhaps many of the people here wouldn't be as discouraged as they are. I got all old variants too, but I don't want more seed slots - I find I barely have time for the ones I have. More slots would just take more of my time, and this is a very busy time of the year, at least for me.

Also, knowing where to go to get the versions of trees you want would be helpful too. As I understood it, the new ones were from the Wild Garden, but here someone says they got a new one by breeding.

One more thing - I would never complain about there being too many flowers/plants! Never! The more, the merrier! :thumbup:

• "I don't really want more seed slots, but I DO want a higher chance of the new seeds being the new variants. And that's not what I'm seeing."

I agree with MiaSkywalker. I think if the percentage of getting the newer trees were a little higher, perhaps many of the people here wouldn't be as discouraged as they are. I got all old variants too, but I don't want more seed slots - I find I barely have time for the ones I have. More slots would just take more of my time, and this is a very busy time of the year, at least for me.

Also, knowing where to go to get the versions of trees you want would be helpful too. As I understood it, the new ones were from the Wild Garden, but here someone says they got a new one by breeding.

One more thing - I would never complain about there being too many flowers/plants! Never! The more, the merrier! :thumbup:

I still think that more seed slots isn't very good, but I feel a little frustrated because my breed seed turn out to be the new variant...

• Schade, dass bei solch komplexen Posts das Verstehen nicht gelingen will. Ich lese Gegensätze, kann aber die Ansichten nicht zuordnen. Bereits idril's kurzer Beitrag ist für mich kritisch. Ich lese Bedauern, dass sie alte Varianten bekam aber nur neue benötigt. Dann klingt es mit dem Eventstart im Juli wie im krassen Gegensatz ironisch gesprochen. Gefällt ihr ihre Situation, und sie wollte über die Anliegen von verlängerten Event-Zeiten bissele spötteln?

Ganz ähnlich, aber ohne belustigt zu sein ist auch mein Eindruck zu Ardaths Post.

Ja, es war ironisch gemeint. :P
    Ich meint damit, dass mit der steigenden Anzahl an neuen Varianten jedes Jahr, aber bei gleichbleibenem Verhältnis, es immer schwieriger werden wird die neuen Varianten rechtzeitig vor Ende des Events zu bekommen. Entweder müsste man den Start des Events von Jahr zu vorverlegen oder eben das Verhältnis zu Gunsten der neueren Varianten ändern.... oder eben für die Events kurzfristig mehr Töpfe haben...
    War das jetzt verständlich? ;)

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• :P Jau, idril. Merci. So ist es aber tatsächlich. Ein klein wenig mehr darf es jetzt in der Hoch-Zeit :D werden. Das meiste wäre durch Tausch erreichbar. Dazu sollten aber einige Varietas klarer auseinanderhaltbar sein. - Mein Röntgenblick ist auf die liebsten Wesen eingestellt, die es in der Natur überhaupt gibt. :love: Na ja... Pflanzen sind vielleicht nicht ganz so die total liebsten Wesen? :S

[align=center]

• My 'problem' is the opposite. I want more burning trees, so I breed a seed and it turned out to be a new variant...

See, and that's compounding the issue. It's RANDOM whether a new or old seed is bred or found in the wild. There's no logic to this. Perhaps this year we'll even find burning trees in the wild, and then why should anyone even bother doing any breeding at all? What's the point?

I really think that the new seeds should be MOSTLY new tree types, and only a FEW of them old tree types randomly interspersed in. And the bred trees should ONLY be old tree types. Otherwise we don't know what we should try to do to get the types of trees we want to get.

This is frustrating!

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• I really think that the new seeds should be MOSTLY new tree types, and only a FEW of them old tree types randomly interspersed in. And the bred trees should ONLY be old tree types. Otherwise we don't know what we should try to do to get the types of trees we want to get.

This is frustrating!

Agree... We should know what will we get by breeding: new or old versions...

• My 'problem' is the opposite. I want more burning trees, so I breed a seed and it turned out to be a new variant...

But that's the point - bred seeds have always, in the past, been old variants; seeds from the wild have been new variants. Now they're mixing them around, so it's almost as though there's no point breeding any anymore. You have the same chance for old or new variants whether you breed the seeds or get them from the wild.

What I'm saying is that if we pick up a seed from the wild, it should have a higher chance of being a new variant, and only a SMALL chance of it being an old variant. The bred ones should only be old variants, and NOT new variants. I, too, want a burning tree, and now I think there's very little chance of that. What's going on now is a big change from the past; it's both confusing and frustrating, because we don't know the best way to get what we want..

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• See, and that's compounding the issue. It's RANDOM whether a new or old seed is bred or found in the wild. There's no logic to this. Perhaps this year we'll even find burning trees in the wild, and then why should anyone even bother doing any breeding at all? What's the point?

I really think that the new seeds should be MOSTLY new tree types, and only a FEW of them old tree types randomly interspersed in. And the bred trees should ONLY be old tree types. Otherwise we don't know what we should try to do to get the types of trees we want to get.

This is frustrating!

i agree with what everyone has said so far. it's actually really disheartening to have such a small chance for the new variants, and frustrating to grow batch after batch and not get one. many players old *and* new will miss out on them. i know that at least one of last years new variants ended up being hard to get for most people- which of course also makes it really hard to trade for them.

the seeds in the garden really should be skewed toward getting each years new variants, with a much smaller chance of getting a past release. breeding should produce old variants only. i'd even suggest that the older a past variant is, the higher chance we have of getting it by breeding. so say for next year, Christmas 2013, the chances for breeding a 2010 tree would be highest, a 2011 tree medium, a 2012 tree lowest...and so on for each consecutive year.

hope that made sense, i'm really tired right now. ?(

• Not only did it make sense but I agree wholeheartedly. The current 'system' is confusing and disheartening especially for those who are attempting to get specific outcomes they may have missed out on in the past.

• i'd even suggest that the older a past variant is, the higher chance we have of getting it by breeding. so say for next year, Christmas 2013, the chances for breeding a 2010 tree would be highest, a 2011 tree medium, a 2012 tree lowest...and so on for each consecutive year.

So you like the 2010 tree most? Because it will become the very most widespread variant of all. It will grow with the most probabilty in every year. And getting last year's variant will be most difficult. So if you can't get a new variant this year, you're lost next year.

People who are new to flowergame don't need more of the older trees than of the newer ones. And older players already have the old variants. I think it should better be the other way around: higher chance for newer trees ... - maybe it's not the worst case to have equal probabilties for all old variants. And it's definitely the easiest way.

• Gruenkern, I think it's not the point. Butcherbaby suggested that old variants should be easily obtainable by BREEDING, while the new ones should be easily obtainable from the WILD GARDEN. Then we would have more control over the results we are getting. If you want an old variant, you breed. If you want a new variant, you go to the Wild Garden and pick up a parentless seed. I think that is what butcherbaby meant.

Please help them grow faster! Thank you! / Bitte hilf meinen Blumen, schneller zu wachsen! Vielen Dank!

• I have another idea: Would it be possible, to make the first seeds of the event the ones someone is missing in their compendium (I mean script wise) since we have a limited time to get the trees. This way, everyone who raises enough plants will have at least one of each event variant. This would even help new players, who may still need all variants.

Although I have the feeling, that with the Christmas event this year we already have a guaranteed tree of the new variant from the post pixie.But that is just speculation.

If one wants to get more, they will have to take the chance and get more and see what they get, or try to trade for the ones they want.

• yes lorimmel, that's exactly what i mean. :)

it has nothing to do with liking a certain year's tree any better, but creating a balance between each years trees.

i don't know enough of percentages to give a good examples with numbers, but i 'll try, using this year as an example. this is roughly how it *should* be.

For parentless seeds picked up from the garden, the likelihood of getting any particular variant:

new variant #1 = 25% chance
    new variant #2 = 25% chance

all five variants from 2010 & 2011 = 10% equal chance each

every Xmas the percentages would change a bit as new variants are added but would always add up to 50% divided amongst the total number of all new variant + 50% divided the total number of all past variants.

for bred seeds:

2010 variant #1 =18% chance
    2010 variant #2 =18% chance
    2010 variant #3 =18% chance

2011 variant #1 =12% chance
    2011 variant #2 =12% chance

2012 variant #1 =6% chance
    2012 variant #2 =6% chance

every Xmas the percentages would change a bit as new variants are added but would be along the same lines- the older the tree the higher chance you have of getting it through breeding, and the previous years trees would have the lowest chance of getting it through breeding.

if you ask why-
    if the parentless seed ratio is adjusted to be in favor of the current seeds for any given year, players will have a lot more current trees to trade. if the bred seeds ratios are *also* in favor of producing the new variants or if the chance of getting past variants is the same for all of them, then you will end up with the problem we had last year with the burning tree- players with lots & lots of the new variants with hardly any of the older styles available to even be trade for. *

i really hope something can be worked out to adjust this before the event is over & we have a lot of sad gardeners.

*and yes, i agree that last year we should have had it where either *all* previous years trees were breed only, or *all* previous years trees were available through the garden. i understand wanting to make the game fun & challenging, but it's no longer fun & challenging when nobody can figure out how things are supposed to work until it is too late to implement them properly. :(

• Butcherbaby suggested that old variants should be easily obtainable by BREEDING, while the new ones should be easily obtainable from the WILD GARDEN

Did you forget that some people are collecting parentles flowers? You can't get them by breeding. Other people might want a bred flower and again others want both. It's the same problem.
    It might (or might not) be a good idea to get new variants only from the wild garden - you can be sure there will be somebody complaining that he must wait a year to get a bred one.

The game would become less interesting if you can easily obtain everything immediately by just stupidly picking up new seeds. You don't need any trading. You don't need to hope for good luck and you don't need even think about it. But it looks like that all people like the easy way to play - </irony on> may I suggest to simply deliver new variants to everyone, so nobody needs to hunt for it? </irony off>

At the moment the chance to get one of the variants is (100%/Number of Variants) because which variant could come out is completely random

Was it the same the years before? Did we ever have unequal probabilities?

• I think lorimmel probably said it best (sorry if what I wrote confused the issue). Currently we have absolutely no control over wether we can skew our seeds towards the outcomes we need: be they newer or older.