Garden Helpers - Discussion thread

• Well, I guess the pumpkin is here by mistake, because it's not fully grown yet.

But on the other hand, some seeds in Gwen's post have sprouted.

Opps! :whistling: I put it back where it needs to be. ;)

And now the pumpkin is grown..

..as well as the squill..

Edited 2 times, last by MadameX (July 4, 2012 at 3:30 AM).

• Came in to do a little relaxing clicking after the rather large earthquake we had a couple of hours ago :huh: & I see that all of MadameX's plants in her first post are now all grown up as well. 8o

• calenlass, don't do that ever again, ok? You caused this trouble: Pages loading very slowly or not loading at all

Using automated tools is against the rules for a good reason. If i catch you ever again using an auto refresher or such tools, your account will be history. This also goes for everybody else. Using yarolds or other visitor exchange sites is fine to me, but using auto refreshers oder scripts is a violation of the rules.

• calenlass, don't do that ever again, ok? You caused this trouble: Pages loading very slowly or not loading at all

Using automated tools is against the rules for a good reason. If i catch you ever again using an auto refresher or such tools, your account will be history. This also goes for everybody else. Using yarolds or other visitor exchange sites is fine to me, but using auto refreshers oder scripts is a violation of the rules.

Well, you should have said before a long time ago that it was against the rules since I never realized that trying to give water was against the rules. Also you stated before that we were only programmed to give a certain amount of water a day and when I said that my home computer was able to give more water, you never pointed out that it was against the rules so threatening me with "account being history" is not very ethical, even though we know it's YOUR game and we are only playing in your garden. Flowergame never slowed down for me when I was reloading so if you had told me before it was causing an issue on your part, I wouldn't have bothered with helping these plants grow. With all due respect, I do not really appreciate being told off like this when I was never made aware there was a problem in the first place.

• I'm sure calenlass had no idea it was against the rules. I had no idea either, although I never tried it.
    Flowergame has such a relaxed atmosphere that many of us never actually read the rules ;)

Please help them grow faster! Thank you! / Bitte hilf meinen Blumen, schneller zu wachsen! Vielen Dank!

• Yes, it is the same. He caused a lot of trouble and thats exactly the reason why auto refreshers are strictly forbidden. To be honest: It did actually look like an deliberate attack on the server and it has happend bevor (also with the server becoming unresponsive), but back then we didn't know yet who did this.

• I beg to differ. I have been doing the auto-reload for watering other people's plants for YEARS so if this was causing an issue, why has it only happened recently and not before? If it was the cause, I would have appreciated a notice that about that instead of an attack of "if I catch you again". I did not do the reloading for my own personal gain but to help others get their plants watered so to be accused of causing a server crash which seems to have only happened recently(and I'm the only available scapegoat) and "causing trouble" is going a little too far, so thank you very much.

• Quote from calenlass

Usually when I see any plants without any water whatsoever, I reload it until the water droplets get filled. My home computer allows me to put plants on auto reload to water them, so what I do is, have different tabs open with all the plants with very few or without any water and put them on auto-reload and then go do other things. I'd come back occasionally and check on them to see how much water they've gotten. I'm usually clicking links on Yarolds and when I come across any plants like that, I sic my auto-reload on them

Yes, that's what I thought too...and my work computer does support this because it doesn't add any water droplets to plants no matter how many times I reload a page. By some miracle though, my home computer actually enables me to do this, I don't know how or why.

Exterminans, i'm sorry but I have to side with calenlass here. the above quotes show that you knew that she watered people's abandoned plants with the auto reload, and you did not make any mention of it being against the rules then, nor did you ask her to stop. a sudden threat of account deletion seems both over the top and very harsh when no prior warning was given. even if you are absolutely certain that it was calenlass' refreshing that caused server problems, you could have stated it more diplomatically, and preferably privately. it's even more troubling to see her given a public tongue lashing in light of how mellow & easy going this forum is. i think that this was handled very poorly on your part.

EDIT: a couple of months ago magistream went down because of outside attacks, and many people there commented that it was happening at other adoptable sites too. it is not inconceivable that an attack could have occured here too.

Edited once, last by butcherbaby (July 9, 2012 at 9:20 AM).

• The logs show clearly that the "attack" was performed from his computer. Also causing 50.000(!!!) page requests in a single hour exceeds any reasonable limit by far. See §2, §4 and §9 of the TOS for details. Normal reaction according to the TOS would have been to delete the account immediatly WITHOUT warning.

• i'm not objecting to you enforcing rules/TOS, that is your job, nor am i saying that the refresh watering wasn't causing server issues- i mentioned the MS attacks merely to show that people can & do purposely attack adoptable sites, both small and large.

what bothers me in this situation is that you knew TWO MONTHS ago, that calenlass was refresh-watering peoples plants, and your only reaction at the time was that "Autoload will not work" and that it slows down the server. again, you did not mention that she was violating any rules or the TOS, nor did you ask her to stop. you gave NO indication whatsoever that what she was doing is prohibited. my question remains- why wasn't anything said then?

commenting on the refresh watering without telling her she was doing something wrong gives the impression of tacit approval, so how could she have known there was a problem? and you may not realize this, but your warning to her comes off more like a personal attack, and also sounds as if she knew what she was doing violated rules but she did it anyway, or was doing it to purposely mess with the game. that is why i say it is harsh, and the fact you did not make any mention of TOS violation long ago when you had the chance to, is why i say that this situation was poorly dealt with, and why i agree with calenlass that it is unethical.