• No, I've been able to breed mine. In fact, I dropped 31 bred seeds into the garden just yesterday.

Tree stumps aren't breedable at all, so far as I can see. At least, I've never had the breed option on any of them during this event.

Oh! Just thought of something. Jack-o-lanterns are only breedable with pumpkins, NOT with one another. If you have no pumpkins in your garden, you may not get the breed option. That's why you should have AT LEAST as many pumpkins as you have jack-o-lanterns, if you want to be able to breed them.

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• Just FYI most of the fantastical versions of real flowers work that way. You must have Poinsettias at Christmas to breed Christmas Stars, you must have White Clover at New Year's to breed Lucky Clover, you must have Bleeding Hearts at Valentine's to breed Hearts of Valentine , you must have Male Fern at Midsummer to breed Marvel Fern, you must have pumpkins at Hallowe'en to breed Jack-o-lanterns. The confusing thing is that you will only get the fantastical version during the event. You can breed your Jack-o-Lanterns to your pumpkins year round if you don't mind getting only pumpkins. Same for the others. Only Witch Mushrooms and Easter Eggs and Christmas Trees breed to themselves, and they don't have the "breed" option the rest of the year. Christmas Trees can also be crossed with Poinsettia to get Christmas Star, but again only at Christmas. Confused enough, now?

• That's right, so that's a reminder, folks - don't forget to stock up on Poinsettias BEFORE Christmas starts, so you can breed and get the Christmas Stars! Because, as I recall, that is the ONLY way to get Christmas Stars. (I.e., all Christmas Stars are breed-only variants - there ARE no parentless Christmas Stars.)

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• Oooh, that's good to know!
    How long does the breeding usually last? Would it be possible, for example, to get a new christmas star seedling from the wild garden, raise it and then breed it before the season ends?

On forum hiatus due to new job (but I'm still playing), may still be found on Dragon Cave forum.

• No, there are no parentless Christmas Stars. They are not found in the garden. They are ONLY obtained by breeding a Christmas tree with a Poinsettia.

If you're asking can you get a Christmas TREE seed from the garden, yes, you can. There are at least two variants of Christmas trees that can only be obtained via breeding (a Christmas tree with a Christmas tree), but the other five variants I think can all be obtained from the wild. There are several variants of the Christmas tree that look almost identical, so be careful before giving any away on the donation thread. If you have two that look the same, and you check the compendium and it appears that the same one is there twice, that means that the two you have are NOT identical. It's easy to be fooled; you have to magnify the page quite a bit to see the difference, really.

Btw, the breeding period for Christmas Stars is not always exactly the same as the breeding period for Christmas Trees. The admins will announce the times to everyone. Usually Christmas Stars come a little after the trees, so newcomers have a chance to raise a few Christmas trees first.

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• I dropped 31 bred seeds into the garden just yesterday.

Maybe dustpuppy meant by getting a Christmas seed this way. I would think you would have enough time to grow one to maturity and then breed it, but I would think it would be close. Not sure, really. Depends on if you get a seed and the dates.

froglady - that's quite impressive. I wonder if it is on the wiki. Here's the same info in a different format:

Time of Year:
    Must have common plant to
    breed with
    fantastical plant:
    to get:
    Christmas Poinsettias Christmas Stars
    New Year's White Clover Lucky Clover
    Valentine's Bleeding Hearts Heart of Valentine's
    Mid Summer Male Ferns Marvel Ferns
    Halloween Pumpkins Jack-o-lanterns

Not sure how to add the rest of the information.

The confusing thing is that you will only get the fantastical version during the event. You can breed your Jack-o-Lanterns to your pumpkins year round if you don't mind getting only pumpkins. Same for the others. Only Witch Mushrooms and Easter Eggs and Christmas Trees breed to themselves, and they don't have the "breed" option the rest of the year. Christmas Trees can also be crossed with Poinsettia to get Christmas Star, but again only at Christmas. Confused enough, now?

• I know the event is still on (I still have the breed option on my Audreys), but there are no jack seeds in the garden.

I'm not sure how it works, but could the admins please do some jack-o-lantern seed drops? Please? :)

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• Once you get a Christmas Star (Christmas tree x Poinsettia), you can then breed it with a Poinsettia. You will get Christmas Stars during the breeding season, but only Poinsettias the rest of the year. But there are no parentless Christmas Stars. You have to get at least one somehow (breeding or gift or whatever) to breed it with Poinsettia. So the first Christmas you have here, you'll have to grow Christmas trees with your first crop, then breed trees with Poinsettias to get Christmas Star, which you can then breed with Poinsettia to get more Christmas Stars. I don't think it will be possible to breed/raise all variants of both trees and stars the first year, as there are too many and you'd have to be really lucky to get a different seedling out of each seed. Plus you get the Lucky Clover thrown in there at the end of the season, as well. That doesn't mean you can't fill in your blanks with donated plants from the kindness of others.
    That's the cool thing about this game. I've been playing for a long time, and I've taken some breaks here and there. I've also had bad luck during some breeding seasons to not get the one variant I'm missing each year. So I still have a Christmas star variety I'm missing, as well as a Lucky Clover, two Christmas wreaths (which you can't breed, so I'll just have to hope for packages from the Post Pixie to get those). I'm also still missing a Heart of Valentine, an Easter bunny, a Jack-o-Lantern and a Snappy Tree Stump (but I still have hope for those, as I still have seeds and seedlings in my garden). It's nice, though, I just have to wait for next holiday to roll around and I have another chance to finish my collection and get some new shiny variant.

• Thank you, Mia and froglady, for the additional info! I do have the required regular plants for breeding the special ones - except for pumpkins. :rolleyes: But it's good to know about the poinsettias since I wanted to give away some spares - I won't do that now, at least not before the event is over!

• That's the cool thing about this game. I've been playing for a long time, and I've taken some breaks here and there. I've also had bad luck during some breeding seasons to not get the one variant I'm missing each year. [...] It's nice, though, I just have to wait for next holiday to roll around and I have another chance to finish my collection and get some new shiny variant.

I quite agree and am in the same boat as you. But it doesn't bother me like it did when I first started playing now, since I know that sooner or later I will get each one, as long as I keep on playing! :)

I like the concept though, it makes it more interesting than just finding seeds in the wild garden c:

A little bit confusing at times, but definitely more interesting! :D

• Has anyone managed a black hat jack-o-lantern this year? I'm merely curious since I've got at least one of every kind to grow this year, except that one. I've four more left to go so still have hope. Just thought it was a bit odd.

Warning: My atrium is on SHROOM Overload! (^_^)