• Enable Crossbreeding? 25

1. Yes, but only between plants from similiar species. (15) 60%
    2. No, leave it as is. Only breeding within the same species. (4) 16%
    3. Yes, enable crossbreeding between all species. (4) 16%
    4. I don't care at all. (2) 8%

I'm not sure if this has been suggestged before and I appoligize if I'm duplicating a request. I would like to see the ability to cross breed plants. I think this would add a new element of interest to the game.

• Hmmm... This would be very interesting if it led to new hybrids, that can be obtained only by breeding. But this would mean a lot of work for the team (designing new flowers, re-programming the breeding system etc.)
    I'm very curious what other people think :)

Please help them grow faster! Thank you! / Bitte hilf meinen Blumen, schneller zu wachsen! Vielen Dank!

• Easy? Of course it is. There have been far worse tasks.

Lets make it a poll.

• Yay! Thank you for immediate reaction, Exterminans :D
    I voted for similar species cross-breeding. And btw, it's so wonderful this poll allows one to change their mind in the future. Just love this option :love:

Please help them grow faster! Thank you! / Bitte hilf meinen Blumen, schneller zu wachsen! Vielen Dank!

• I voted that I don't care... not exactly true - sounds like a fun idea! I just worry as was stated above that the artists might start pulling their hair out! That would make for a LOT of possible crosses (even if only semi-related plants)! I hope we can still breed 'pure', though! Just a thought - maybe having more flowers like the Dandylions (one regular and one biting) would be an idea...

• I think I'm more interested in the poll itself than what it was about. lol But I voted the same way as you, lorimmel. :thumbup:

Yay, good to hear that :D As much as I love the idea of cross-breeding itself, and all the new possibilities it would bring, breeding a tulip to a porcini mushroom would be a bit too much for me :P
    The poll results so far seem to indicate that the majority of players share this view ^^

• What you think? Which chance we have to get some similar species? Sense can make cross breedings between 3 or more species (not in nature, it would be a game feature); or between 2 or more species to 1 or more hybrid's. The way will take years. But every step would be :love: . Examples can be perhaps:

Liverleaf + Anemone hupehensis = Anemone narcissiflora

Common Daisy + Bellis sylvestris = Bellis perennis-Kultivar

Cornflower + Centaurea calcitrapa + Centaurea macrocephala

Pumpkin + Cucurbita moschata + Cucurbita pepo

Dahlia + Dahlia coccinea = Hybrid

Poinsettia + Euphorbia milii + Euphorbia myrsinites

Orange Hawkweed + Hieracium peleterianum + Hieracium intybaceum

Corn-poppy + Papaver lateritium + Papaver lapeyrousianum + Papaver radicatum

Geranium + Pelargonium triste + Pelargonium tricolor + Pelargonium appendiculatum

Siberian Squill + Hyacinthus orientalis + Veltheimia bracteata + Eucomis vandermerwei

White Clover + Trifolium stellatum + Trifolium incarnatum + Trifolium arvense + Trifolium alpestre

Tulips + Tulipa australis + Tulipa agenensis + Tulipa aucheriana

Rice button aster + Aster amellus + Aster tongolensis + Aster ageratoides var. semiamplexicaulis + Aster ageratoides var. semiamplexicaulis

Bear's Garlic + Allium triquetrum + Allium scorodoprasum + Allium schoenoprasum + Allium roseum + Allium narcissiflorum + Allium moly + Allium karataviense + Allium fistulosum + Allium cristophii + Allium cepa

[align=center]

• We do have cross-breeding. That's how we breed Jack O Lanterns to Pumpkins and Bleeding Hearts to Valentines Hearts and Christmas trees to Poinsettias and Marvel Ferns to Male Ferns to try to get more of the special event plants.
    Are we suggesting that each cross-breeding have a new and marvelous fantasy plant issue from it instead of having to wait for special events? So that crossing a Tulip to a Geranium gets you New Plant #1 and crossing a Tulip to a Dahlia gets you New Plant #2? If my math is right just counting the 30 normal plants and not including any holiday/event plants, there would be 435 hybrid plants for which there would have to be sprites drawn for seeds, seedlings and adults. Then every time you add a new plant, instead of one new artwork set there would have to be (new number of plant species) sets drawn. Having to draw 31 new plant sprites just to add the next plant and 32 for the next plant (with creation of all 30 or 31 new hybrids) would definitely limit the number of new plants being released. I'm not a big fan of this.
    Now, if you mean that you cross a Tulip with a Dahlia and have a chance to get either a Tulip or a Dahlia, that might be OK...though you could just go to the Wild Garden and catch a seed of whatever you want.
    I think that the time and effort it would require to create over 400 fantasy plants and draw all those sprites could be better used adding some more real-life plants in lots of colors.

Edited once, last by froglady (May 21, 2012 at 10:17 PM).

• Crossbreeding would only mean that similar species would be breedable, unless for special combinations the result would always be one of the parents species. In return the yet rather plain list of parents would be replaced by a full graphical genealogical tree to add some value to uncommon or larger breeding projects.

• Oh, so you mean that it's more like the Tulip X Dahlia gets you either a Tulip or a Dahlia, but not a new species? I don't really see the sense in that, as you can catch those seeds year round from the Wild Garden. Unless, like you said, people want to breed 100 generations of plants just as a hobby. I think that rather unlikely, as folks are always so fussy/picky here about whether their plants have parents or not. Plus we're always hearing about how perturbed everyone is to have all their slots locked up when an event hits. I guess it would be something to add value to the game for those who have all plants in all varieties.

I wonder what the OP had in mind when it was posted?

• Jau, das ist es. Bei cross-breeding nur mit dem Ergebnis einer der Eltern-Spezies erkenne ich keinen Sinn. Das System wird nur unnötigerweise ohne wirklichen Nutzen, ohne wirklichen Spannungsfaktor nur unübersichtlich. In der Natur ergibt sich aus cross-breeding immer eine Hybride.

Darum ist es für die Züchter interessant. Für mich ist nicht nachvollziehbar, wo am nun geplanten System der Reizfaktor sein soll. Außer bei ganz jungen Sammlungen fehlen oft nur noch wenige Farbvarianten. Die züchtet man normalerweise gezielt, nicht cross.

--------------------------------

Jau, that is it. With cross breeding only with the result of one of the parental species I recognize no sense. The system becomes only unnecessary-wise without real use, without real tension factor only blindly. In the nature from cross breeding a hybrid arises always.

Therefore it is interesting for the breeders. For me is not understandably, where in the system planned now should be the irritant factor. Except with quite young collections only few color variations are often absent. One does not breed that ordinarily straight, not cross.

[align=center]

• The poll is over and the result is pretty much obvious. So crossbreeding between similar species will be enabled soon. I just have to check, for which species this would make sense at all.

• I don't see that many candidates, but there are some.
    Within Amaryllidaceae - daffodil and snowdrop.
    Within Asteroideae - dahlia with zinnia and daisy with aster.
    Within Ranunculaceae - liverleaf and winter aconite.
    Within Papaveraceae - bleeding heart and poppy.
    Within Cichorioideae - dandelion and orange hawkweed.

I don't see anything else but perhaps I've missed a connection.