Show Us Your Home Grown Flowers!

• Nice photo! I know what I would use the rosemary and thyme for, but what do you use the Lemon Balm in?

More or less he same way you'd use Mint - I mostly use Lemon Balm for tea and desserts (it goes well with any kind of fruit). The tea is said to have a calming effect but it's also very delicious. :D A bit like Mint but less strong and with a very noticable lemony note. You can also use it in wine but I never tried that.

On forum hiatus due to new job (but I'm still playing), may still be found on Dragon Cave forum.

• So, after repotting my plants, and a short but successfull battle against plant lice, here are some pics of my herbs and veggi plants. :D

I got this nice pedestal from my mum, which she didn´t need anymore and it fits perfectly in that corner. :love:

On top: parsley and a little rosemary. The parsley is not doing so well. It´s an older plant from last year, maybe I need a new one...

In the middle: in the back peppermint; in front from left to right two different kinds of sage, one startet blooming already; another rosemary and chives

At the bottom: basil, lemon balm and oregano. The basil is not the usual pesto basil, but another variant with green and red leaves. It has a slightly sweet anise taste. :)

The oregano has already a cute little bloom. :love:

On my window sill: the two chilies, the Siberian on the left and the Vietnamese on the right, which is about to bloom, too. :D

I also got the chervil and coriander there.

In one corner of the balcony I have one tomato plant and the two sweet peppers. (don´t mind my laudry. :whistling: )

In the other corner another tomato (I think it´s the cherry tomato), lovage/Maggi herb and laurel.

That´s all for now. I'll keep you updated on how everything's growing. :)

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• Idril: With the oregano and basil, when you see blooms growing, cut them off. If you allow them to flower and go to seed, the plant will die. If you keep cutting the blooms off, the plant will last a lot longer.

The basil blooms (I don't know about oregano) are also edible, and are great in salads and in cooking. They have a stronger taste than the leaves so actually work very well in cooking.

94911.pngKokpD.gif

My Garden - My Dragon Cave Scroll

• Very nice, Idril, especially that metal rack your mum gave you! I agree with Mia on the basil, cutting off the blossoms will make it grow stronger and last longer. Not sure about the oregano, though, I've definitely had some flowering several times. Maybe there are different breeds?

• My mother and I grow basil every year; I love basil salads. (My father hates them, so we make our salads individually at dinner.) Basil with tomato and mozzarella/provolone cheese is delicious! :)

The blooms on basil are pretty, and they look very nice in salads. :) But they ARE a bit on the strong side, so we usually use them in cooking. They lend tomato sauce a really nice flavor!

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• Oh, this is all so very informative! :D

idril, I have one word to say - WOW! What a great herb garden you have - and then some! I am so impressed! I haven't planted anything this year. :(

Mia, I didn't know you could make a whole salad from Basil! You're talking about just using the leaves? And no other greens? Just want to get it straight.

• Thanks. :)

This is actually the first time I´m trying herbs and veggies on my balcony. We´ll see how everything grows... especially the scions I got from my parents (peppermint, sage and rosemary). The blooming sage is a good sign, though. :)

I can´t wait to eat my homegrown tomatos and basil with mozarella and my homemade olivebread. :D

100475.png 8829.png 120648.png66447.png 2XHsN.gif

• @Tru: The leaves, and then maybe tomatoes, and grated cheese. The only dressing would be an oil. (I used to use olive oil, it's the best-tasting, but now I'm allergic to it, so I use avocado oil.) It's a bit strong-flavored, for a salad, but I love them. Not boring like lettuce salads. :)

But a really good appetizer / party food is a cracker with a slice of provolone, a slice of tomato, and a basil leaf on top. Very tasty appetizer!

Idril's herb garden is very impressive. She grows a lot more herbs than we do! We usually only grow two or 3 herbs at our home, but our basil bushes get quite huge. Last one grew to be about a foot and a half high, and two feet in diameter. The pots we put them in are pretty large. :) We don't have any this year because of too much RL stuff going on, so I can't show you any pictures.

94911.pngKokpD.gif

• I bought some plants to make my accommodation more like a home <3 To be fair, I don't know the name of these flowers (some of them I know the Chinese name but definitely not English name), can anyone tell me?

-Currently learning German-
    <3