Posts by Emeraldis

i am stuck in the same place...

it says i need

Display Spoiler

a hammer to attach the planks to the barrel (the nails are in my inventory)

but there is nothing like that?? unless they mean

Display Spoiler

the staff in the reeds

, but i can't figure out how to pick it up.
    i've already

Display Spoiler

talked to the raven and magpie and given them my chocolate.

@JCStitches whaaat, over-relaxing?? what are you talking about. *trips over 20 sunglasses* and yes, i'm feeling pretty confident about them!! although... still haven't sent emails to my teachers to ask about what i got.

and congrats on becoming a mod!! :) nice choice of avatar. birds.

that's a pretty interesting idea!! it would definitely boost the activity level in the forums... and as clara said, if people had extras of their variant, they could gift them out through the adoption center. my only problem is someone just anonymously taking plants even if they didn't need that variant, or not posting to say that they took something. but i guess that happens sometimes already, so. :U plus it would be easier for shy people to get variants they needed.

and as for the language barrier, anyone playing flowergame would have to know at least german or english, since those are the only two languages offered, or use a translator, so putting a post though a translator would be no different than doing the same thing to the greenhouse text.

@JCStitches yup, i think i was poking through the lineages of my dragons, heh. i find it really interesting because there is always so many different flights in one dragon's lineage!!! and yes, my full name is jennifer, although i prefer jen since it's less formal to me, and easier to spell (for some reason anybody spelling my name thinks it's got some sort of odd spelling)... and jenny just sounds weird. :/ and thank you!! got four straight days of finals... and then sweet, blessed summer... *dons sunglasses in preparation* B)

actually i saw the old thread and was debating posting in it but decided agaisnt it since i thought it would be necro-ing a dead thread. although activity is pretty quiet here so it wouldn't have been a problem, i suppose.

anyways, my username is the same over there: Emeraldis!! :D feel free to friend me there. i've been playing for a couple months, but the semester is closing and i have a lot of work to do, so i'm taking a brief break.

as for wasting time... mostly i just browse through the dragons wanted or item sales boards. sometimes i play tidal trouble, but it gets very monotonous fairly quickly. same with the coliseum, but it's a good source of food, so i play that for longer than i do tidal trouble.

and jcstitches, i actually stumbled upon your account over there about a month or two ago. :D debated sending you a friend request but i wasn't sure if that would be weird, since the other thread here is dead.

actually transpiration and guttation are two different things. transpiration is the evaporation of water from all parts of a plant when the stomata open to take in carbon dioxide, and guttation is the exudation of liquid through the tips of leaves, often in the night, when water enters the plant and increases root pressure and pushes water (actually xylem) out. they are inversely related; guttation happens less when transpiration can occur, and when guttation is occurring, it's usually because transpiration is not.

it generally happens during the nighttime, and dries up in the morning, so if you are looking at them in the afternoon, you won't see it.

and guttation has at least two different meanings, one in dermatology and one in botany.

*shuts mouth*

actually i don't think that sentence needs to be changed at all; the swamps are the only plural noun in the sentence, so there's no need for any additional clarification.

the second sentence could be, "Guttation, the phenomenon of the exudation of excess water through the tips of a plant's leaves, occurs in Arum lilies."

i still think it sounds rather awkward, though; maybe someone could clear it up for me?? ?(

actually i prefer using "they" and "them" because society still is patriarchal and misogynist. regardless of whether or not using that is incorrect, assuming that male is default (as opposed to neutral or unknown, which is implied by "they") is extremely hindering to the feminist movement and advancement of women's rights.

as for the "one" thing, french has a version of it:

"il faut qu'on mange."

literally translates to:

"one needs to eat."

here is more information on (heh) the use of "on" in french. it is very almost the equivalent of the english "one."

christmas cactus (starting from shelybear's correction):

The flowers, which are often shaped zygomorphous, are available in different colors.
    The flowers, which are often shaped zygomorphously, are available in different colors.

or possibly:

The flowers, which are often shaped zygomorphous, are available in different colors.
    The flowers are often zygomorphous and are available in different colors.

spring snowflake (again from shelybear's correction):

In phenology its flowering shows the beginning of spring.
    In phenology its flowering heralds the beginning of spring. (optional comma after phenology, and of course heralds is just a stylistic thing)

and myon, the pumpkin correction is slightly off; it could be

The whole plant is roughly haired, which protects the seedlings from natural enemies.

or omit the comma from your original correction:

The whole plant is roughly haired to protect the seedlings from natural enemies.