Posts by sroo

I agree it can be confusing to know whether one is speaking to singular or plural you.. Same in Finnish (it's my first language if that hasn't been obvious enough.. :P) we don't have gender in our he/she. it's same word "hän" for both. It's really confusing especially if you read a translated book where they just use the word "hän" instead of a name or something that reveals the gender. I've couple times thought some characters to be different gender than they really were + animals or non-humans are usually refered as "it" , also genderless (Hedwig from HP will always be boy to me!! :D).

Here when you ask "what's up" or "how are you doing" you literally ask "what are you hearing". So some smart a** people, me included, can answer that everything that is sopken laudly.. :P

I'm confused. My plant is grown up and ..... gone. In the compendium is'nt a full grown picture as well. Where is the plant? Is it a bug?

Your Be-my-valentine is on your greenhouse, at least I see it. 3rd row first one before the dandelions. You have 4 living stone seeds and then 4 heart of valentines. But it does have the same sprite that the sprout...?

About the I'm not sure -thing. I kind of understand that some phrases have no meaning as there're phares I can not translate into my language fully. Or I can but it has a little different meaning. That's what I like about different languages, there's stuff you can't translate without loosing the exact meaning. :)

I love English for sentences that look very similar but have totally different meaning. Like "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana". Or "Naked conductor ran along the train" (which is even used in linguistics textbooks).

Alia, You can tell that to a Finn: "Kun lakkaa satamasta, haetaan lakkaa satamasta" translates to "when it stops raining, let's pick up lacquer from the harbor". Or maybe my personal favourite: "Keksijä Keksi keksittiin keksimään keksi. Keksijä Keksi keksi keksin. Keksittyään keksin, keksijä Keksi keksi keksin keksityksi". Tells a story of a inventor who invents a cookie (to invent and cookie has similiar word in Finnish). Sometimes it can be really confusing :wacko:

In remembrance of Valentine's Day :P

I was an exchange student in Italy several years ago. What I found weird is that in Italian there's two kind of love. The passionate way and more innocent way. "I love you" can be translated 2 different ways in Italian. There's the literal "ti amo" (ti=you, amo= I love) that no one really uses.. maybe real lovers as husband and wife etc. And then there's this phrase everyone uses "ti voglio bene" which tanslates I want you well ( I guess it can mean 2 things; I want you to be well or I want you in a good way. As of now I haven't really worked that out which one it is...). And this "ti voglio bene" phare is used when spoken to friends, boy/girlfriends, family/siblings.

I remember saying "Vi amo" (vi=plural you) to my host family and to my friends and they all corrected me that I should say "Vi voglio bene". Meh.

And all Italians out there maybe you can clarify what "ti voglio bene" really translates in to!?!