Posts by froglady

Just FYI most of the fantastical versions of real flowers work that way. You must have Poinsettias at Christmas to breed Christmas Stars, you must have White Clover at New Year's to breed Lucky Clover, you must have Bleeding Hearts at Valentine's to breed Hearts of Valentine , you must have Male Fern at Midsummer to breed Marvel Fern, you must have pumpkins at Hallowe'en to breed Jack-o-lanterns. The confusing thing is that you will only get the fantastical version during the event. You can breed your Jack-o-Lanterns to your pumpkins year round if you don't mind getting only pumpkins. Same for the others. Only Witch Mushrooms and Easter Eggs and Christmas Trees breed to themselves, and they don't have the "breed" option the rest of the year. Christmas Trees can also be crossed with Poinsettia to get Christmas Star, but again only at Christmas. Confused enough, now?

This sounds like a game I play on my tablet, where you randomly have a mine that gives only blue, red or yellow crystals and have to trade with others to get the two you are missing. I for one will never have the upgrades on the buildings that require the crystals, because I prefer games I can play all by myself and accomplish all tasks by myself. Gives me more of a feeling of completion and accomplishment. I don't mind sharing what I have, but I just don't really like being forced to be social.

I don't think things were really so view/click driven as they were designed to make sure we logged in every so often and to get their page-views up to a point where the ads would be profitable. My first month or so here they changed it so you didn't have to water your already-grown plants. I have a feeling that people were getting frustrated/quitting after getting too many plants to keep up with watering each and every one AND there were more and more plants to keep up with all the time AND that increased the price of hosting the site, so some happy medium had to be found to get ad page-views without breaking the bank on hosting costs. So watering/sun changed from daily plant maintenance to only affect plant growth.

I still don't get the obsession with abandoned gardens. Why not just let them be? Some people tend their gardens and some don't, even in real life. I guess if people have that much free time to spend on tending the gardens of the players who quit, let them amuse themselves. In reality, though, it does increase the bandwidth the site uses each month, which is something the admins must pay for. I'm assuming this is one of the reasons why Yarrold's was blocked. Hundreds or thousands of extra page loads from the server daily must have stretched their pocketbooks to the max, especially when you realize that all this abandoned garden tending is not to anyone's benefit (except, perhaps, the completionist/perfectionist personalities out there trying to make every garden plant grow).

I guess I don't know how this would benefit Flowergame, since it's not click-driven like a lot of adoptable sites are. I don't even put my flowers anywhere but on this forum, and simply play minigames to get what I need to grow my plants. It's not like you have to hatch an egg in x number of hours/days or it'll die. I refuse to play any click-driven games for this reason. I prefer to have the power to do things myself.

What I meant is to have a subscription that you would pay to have 1 month or 3 months or 6 months or 1 year of privileges, with probably some discount for buying a longer subscription (less per month, so like if it were 2 bucks for one month, it might be 5 for 3 months and 10 for six months and 20 for a year). And the two-tier subscription system could be a smaller price to just get rid of the ads and a bigger price to get rid of the ads AND have the "easy-click" play as well. Some games even give newbies 2 weeks free of the best privileges so that they can see what they would be getting for the money (and to show them what they're missing out on if they don't subscribe).
    It would be nice to just pay once and have privileges forever, but that doesn't create a steady income stream to pay for servers, etc., which is what seems to be needed here. But I definitely wouldn't use it if I had to pay each day, either. Subscriptions are a happy medium, and offering two tiers of payment and different lengths of subscription opens up more possibility for someone to be able to afford some level of subscription, even if it's month to month just taking away the ads (which also speeds up gameplay by reducing page load time).
    This is a variation on the most popular type of monetization out there--everyone can have everything, if they are willing to either wait/work for it or pay for it.

Paying to eliminate ads from while free players still get ads is a pretty standard way to generate more income on most browser games I've played. And I've played a lot. I really would object to content that is restricted to paying players, but I think it wouldn't be too much to make the sun and water reduce more slowly and/or give a bigger watering can that fills with the minigames and can be used to one-click water each plant on its page instead of having to clickity-click. Would be even better if it would water your whole garden as long as you'd played enough games to get enough water in the can for it. I also wouldn't be averse to allowing paid players to search (regular only) species and receive a whole wild garden page (or list if that's not possible) from which to randomly pick a seed of that species. If the only plant I don't have is the new monthly version, I might have to refresh the Wild Garden page repeatedly to find one. Maybe the daily amount of help you could give to and receive from other players could also be increased (more trees to bend, more snails to chase off daily).
    Time-saving and work-saving advantages that give benefits to daily play are the way to go in giving players "perqs" for subscribing. Restricted content for free players only creates resentment and a sense of less importance. I know people are willing to pay for faster, easier daily play and don't necessarily need "exclusive" plants to get them to part with their money. Perhaps you could also offer two different pay levels--one to just put the kibosh on ads, the other a bit more expensive to get you the daily "easy-click" play.

Plants will not grow without sun. Plants will not grow without water. Plants wil only grow with both. But your plants/seeds don't die, they just sit patiently and wait for sun and water to start growing again. Better than your real garden you have to water or else. :) It's an improvement over the original version of the game, where even adult plants needed water. It was too stressful, so they changed it.

It's while I'm playing in the garden. I could care less what time I post.
    I guess I could set my computer clock to German time (and Eastern, Central, Australian, etc.) and back when I play, but that's not an appetizing solution, somehow. The progress meter would be truly great.

I like being able to come here twice a week and put in 20 minutes or so playing fun little games with no stress. I like that people who have been here longer have been rewarded for their patience with more variety in their gardens. I like that new players can still join and expect to get the same plants all us "veterans" have in the space of time. I quit a bunch of click-heavy sites because people were paying for clicks and getting so many clicks a day that the sites had to limit the clicks to keep them from growing up multiple generations in one week.
    We already have the opportunity to exterminate grubs, water plants and trim trees for others to help them out. That's enough.

Ooh, that meter would be lovely. It would solve all my problems. And I don't need my local time--I have that. I just wanted the server time displayed so I knew what time and date the game "thought" it was. I play lots of games from different TZs and countries, and I just go by the game clock, even though it's different from mine. At least I don't have to try to figure out midnight in Eastern, Central, Mountain, England, Germany, Australia and New Zealand. I just look at the game clock and go by that.

I am lazy and don't want to have to convert time on the fly after working 10-12 hours a day on a 12 day stretch. I have put in 240 hours at work in the last 4 weeks alone. By the time I get here (if I do before I crash out in my dinner plate in the evenings) I don't have the brains left to add time across midnight, then subtract and change days and subtract 24 x the number of days since I planted the seed to figure out how close to 100 hours I am on a plant. It's the time of sprouting/maturing that I'm having trouble with keeping track of.

Yes, there is a time stamp in the forums, but it also shows Pacific Standard Time for me (my local time), not the server time. The date you picked up the plant that's listed on the plant's page isn't your local date and time, it's the site server date and time. I'd like to know what date and time it is by the game's count. (Right now, my time says "Friday July 5, 11:18 pm").
    I know that the holidays are staff-mediated, but in lieu of the indivdual timestamps on seeds and seedlings it would at least help us know when to start looking for sprouts or mature plants. I usually get to check only in the evenings, as I work (sometimes even holidays and weekends, as this week I am in the middle of a 12-day stretch from July 1 to July 12 inclusive without a day off).

Would it be possible to have a clock on the pages of the site to tell us what day and time it is on the server? I'm on a different day, and I often can't remember what day the site is on (which is important in figuring out when events start and end, mainly).

I'd also like a timestamp on flowers. When on July 1 did I get that plant from the garden or breed it? With the 100 hour thing, sometimes it's impossible to remember whether you got that seed on Wednesday night at 10 pm (site time Thursday morning 8 am) or actually picked it up on Thursday evening after work. So you look and fret and wonder when it might sprout (or grow up). Would be nice to be able to figure it out more easily for ourselves.

Likes? Dislikes? Suggestions for improvement? Thanks, all.

They get added in batches and when one runs out you have to wait for the next batch. Same with all holiday/special plants. You can refresh forever and never see one, then come back 10 minutes later and they're everywhere.

Yes, online translators are stupid. I tried to use one to help me with articles so I didn't make any big mistakes, but it seemed to not say what I wanted it to. So I winged it. Glad you managed to understand my garbled German.

Entschuldigung Sie, bitte, ich spreche nur ein bisschen Deutsch.

Blau und rot Zauberfarn sind in der Wilde Garten, aber keine rosa oder gelb.
    Sie mussen kreuze Zauberfarn mit Wurmfarn.
    Sie konnen kreuze Zauberfarn mit Wurmfarn jetzt zu 7.Juli.
    Konnen Sie verstehen mich?

Sie haben in Kompendium ein Fragezeichen wenn Sie nicht alles farben auf eine Pflantze haben. Nur 1 Fragezeichen.

Ich hoffe ich hilfe.