Posts by froglady

Still need 5 Audreys and 3 Stumps and the two more realistic-looking Jack-O-Lanterns (I had all of them at one time, the two I'm missing are the newest ones). I guess if I get 2 new varieties each year like I did this year it will take 1-2 years to get the Stumps and Jacks and 3 or 4 more to get the Audreys. If they don't add any more. :) Not a complaint, just an observation.

I got 4 Stumps and 4 Audreys. Two of each have grown up and I got one new one of each. The other four (two of each) sprouted yesterday morning, so we shall see. I was very far behind in Hallowe'en plants for some reason (were several added in just a year or two?), but I have almost all the Christmas/New Year ones, so that event will be far less frenetic for me (as well as usually being longer, if memory serves).

I got 8 seeds, but I think it was just because I jumped on them right as soon as they started dropping. Someone starting even 8 hours later wouldn't get the second batch. My first four just matured and I got one of my missing Audreys and one of my missing Stumps. The other two I already had. My second round just sprouted, so we will see.

I imagine that the initial lineart is more costly than re-colored versions are, so perhaps we got two linearts now and will have more colors for each later (buying variants on the installment plan, essentially). There might also be frugailty in the face of Halloween for a new variant of one of those plants. I think the breeding might just not have gotten turned on. I believe there were other plants with the same problem in the past. Maybe it just slipped the mind with Halloween coming up. I'm going to have empty pots as soon as all my seedings grow. Have 4 empty seed slots right now. To get prepped for the Hallowe'en plants to start dropping. Going out of town for a week, anyway.

When I was here before I remember Halloween being near the actual date and lasting only a week or so. You can breed jack o lanterns, but you'll want to save room to get Audreys and Tree Stumps, too. I recommend getting what you can from the Wild Garden first thing, then breeding whatever you want as soon as the pots are empty and can accept seeds, as I believe (if I remember correctly) that bred seeds will continue to grow even after the Wild Garden drops are finished.

Edited to add: From last year's thread it seems they dropped from Oct 24-Nov 1. So it is short.

For those who don't speak American English as a first language, a "hot potato" is something you have to get rid of as soon as possible (like a literal hot potato that's burning your bare hands). It could also be something that could get you into trouble. As a kid, we played a game called "hot potato", where kids stood in a circle and threw a beanbag as quickly as possible to anyone in the circle randomly. So you had the beanbag in your cupped hands and shoveled it to someone else, who had to shovel it off to someone else as soon as they caught it, etc. If you didn't catch it, you were out. Last one left wins.
    So perhaps this slang is also common in other countries. And just perhaps you have to treat this as a "hot potato" and gift it, then having the next owner gift it, until it is passed around to a few others before coming back to someone who has owned it before, whereupon it becomes "baked". Worth a try, I guess.

Here's my best shot in my limited German:

Display Spoiler

Marigold is probably native to the Mediterranean region. It can be used in ointments and elixirs as a natural medicine to relieve various types of health conditions.
    S: Marigold seeds are heteromorphic, meaning the seeds have different shapes in each region that allows spread of the seed in more than one way. One end is shaped to float on the wind, while the other end has small hooks that can catch in animal fur and be carried away.
    K: Marigolds are valuable as a soil improvement when plowed under as "green manure". Some varieties are planted in beds with crops to help in the control of nematode worms.
    B: The colorful blooms can be dried and steeped to make an herbal tea or used fresh in salads. The dried powdered petals can also be substituted for saffron in many recipes.

**I used other foods in the last line because ointments were already mentioned in the first line, and it seemed more consistent to mention other edible/culinary uses alongside the tea.

Yes, I've found that the hare is the brown one (I remember it by thinking of brown hair). The rabbit is grey (like our wild cottontail rabbits). Bunny is any, including the snow bunny. They are both greyish-brown (the hare) or brownish-grey (the rabbit) instead of pure brown and pure grey, but the color is obviously different.

European Hare (brown hare):

Cottontail rabbit: