Posts by froglady

I was gonna send you a PM of what I have extra from previous years, but for some reason I can't.

BTW, since the wiki is MIA I thought I'd chime in that at Easter there are gold and red striped Easter eggs, too, that hatch into bunnies. :) Other spring plants besides the eggs and pussy willow are the Witch Mushrooms for Walpurgisnacht (May Day eve, around the end of April/first of May) that look like a broom.

I hope whoever does the actual technical site administration for the Wiki notices that there's an issue. The error message looks like perhaps a simple typo causing havoc.

My grandfather had a huge garden back in WV in the 70's and 80's. He and a neighbor gardened their back yards and a one-acre plot down on the banks of the Ohio River, where they grew corn for the truck market. He always had tons of tomatoes just from his backyard. We would eat tomatoes like apples while weeding and dozens of tomato sandwiches all summer, plus he gave tons away to the elderly neighbors and canned literally 100 Mason jars of tomato juice, 50 of stewed tomatoes and 50 of tomato sauce every year to use during the winter (he used a Mouli mill to crush the tomatoes and remove the skins for the juice and cooked some of the juice down for sauce). I'll give you his secret for tomatoes. Remove the lowest leaves and leave just one set of large ones at the top of young tomato plants (plus the small ones at the growing end, of course). Dig a trench rather than a hole, sprinkle in a teaspoon or so of bone meal and lay the young plant into the trench, then cover it with dirt up just past where you removed the leaves. Bend the plant gently so the leaves point up and pile dirt to prop it. It will grow upward on its own toward the sun in a few days and sprout new roots all along that stem and be a sturdier plant. DON'T use regular fertilizer like Miracle Grow or you'll get very lush plants and no blossoms or tomatoes. Fertilize with fruit tree fertilizer at one-quarter the strength recommended for dwarf trees. Don't forget to pinch suckers (any shoot that comes out from the stem between sets of leaves). You'll have a lovely tomato crop.

He grew corn and beans together in a mound about 4 inches high. Plant 3 corn kernels spaced out in the center of the hill and a circle of 4 beans about halfway down the mound. When the seeds sprout and start to grow, choose the strongest corn and the strongest bean and pull the other seedlings up. Then train the bean vine around the cornstalk as they grow. Works a charm. He used Sugar and Butter or Silver Queen corn and Kentucky Wonder (green and wax) or horticulture beans (cranberry beans, October beans). He raised half-runners, too, but those were on a trellis, along with a neighboring trellis of nasturtiums for salads, a third one for strawberries and pale lavendar Clematis and deep rose pink rambling roses on both ends of the covered porch outside the daylight basement.

We ate not only tomatoes, corn and beans from a backyard garden, but okra, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, bell peppers, eggplants (aubergine) and zucchini (courgette). He had rhubarb planted in the tree line of his plum and cherry trees and a cold frame, too, where he grew cabbages, turnips, parsnips, kale, broccoli, etc. You can get quite a good yield from a small garden. And don't forget that 2 or 3 cukes or zucchini plants will yield more than enough food for a family. Back when I was young, no one locked their car and people would often come out of the grocery to find bags of "donated" zucchini in the back seat, because everyone always grew too many. The flowers make great appetizers dipped in tempura-style batter and fried if you find you are getting behind on harvesting the zucchini or summer squash.

I'll be 63 in a couple of weeks. I've been gaming since my dad brought home Pong and some little handheld games that had red LED X's for the players and let you play "basketball" and "hockey". We had a Colecovision, because it was supposed to turn into a computer, but it didn't. Then I just haunted arcades/skating rinks/bowling alleys (sometimes all the same business rolled into one) and poured in quarters until the NES came along and I could play Tetris without having to be in a smoky tavern somewhere. I did AD&D in college, so when I stumbled upon the first Final Fantasy game I was all over it (and the next 9). My mother loved gaming, too. She was a crack shot, so Duck Hunt was right up her alley. Then she got really good at Mario Brothers and Yoshi's Island (so she could play with my sister's kids). But her favorite was always Dr. Mario. When my 68 year old mother came to visit me in California and sat down at the TV set with my 76 year old father-in-law and they played against each other at their mutual favorite Dr. Mario it was a blast.

I found PBBG's when I first got to California and had a decent internet connection. At first it was text and turn-based RPG's like FF that I played, but I discovered Neopets back when the Brits still owned and ran it as entertainment for bored college students and adults, before Viacom (Nick) bought it and made it a dress-up paper doll pet game. It had pets based on real people (and got sued for it), more mature themes in its events/plots and some rather racy inside jokes before it got sanitized.

When JavaScript came to the internet there were many more pet games and adventure/RPG games that came out and I toured them all, esp after my divorce in 2004. Then in 2006 my father had a stroke and my father-in-law died during surgery (on the same day) and in 2007 my parents moved to California to live with me. I played for a while, but had to pare down my gaming a lot due to caring for my dad. He had to go to care in 2012, so my mom and I spent many happy hours gaming together to keep her going. By then she was more of a fan of those hidden-object games, so we would play side by side on our computers, helping each other out and chatting about the game plot. She passed away aged 81 in 2015 (as did my dad) and had a tablet (she liked the larger screen for gaming), smartphone and computer and knew how to use all of them. She shamed the people at the hospital who tried to teach her how to schedule an appointment on her phone, because she had already downloaded the app, ordered pharmacy refills, made 2 appointments and gotten her lab results by the time they thought she should be told there was an app for the phone. :) She used to sit in one of the waiting rooms in my department at the hospital after she had an appointment and play phone games until I got off work to take her home. My co-workers were all much younger than I (the oldest was 13 years younger and the youngest 28 years younger) and they all got a big kick out of my mom and loved her. Some of them would spend their break chatting with her when she was in.

So you don't ever have to stop gaming. If my mom at age 80 could be excited at the latest Mystery Case Files game and impatiently waiting to dive in once it downloads, you can be like that, too. I know I fully intend to.

As did I, but once they had sun and water again they grew. It's kind of an all-or-nothing thing, the way that sun and water work. I think it might be possible to arrest the growth of a sprout if one wished, but it would require lots of dedication to a goal that ultimately yields nothing you don't already have.

I have pretty good genes, too, but eventually you get caught anyway. My mother was grey at 30 (from black), my sister was white by 35 (from dark brown) and I am still just heavy salt-and-pepper in my early 60s. My dad's side greyed out in their 60s and 70s, so I take more after them.

I mis-typed the name of my cat game (which I why I actually replied to this post again). It's Secret Cat Forest, but I had my head in Garden mode, so...

I don't think there's a practical way to keep plants from growing without taking all of them off every click site and forum post and never playing any games. Besides, you can just click into the Compendium and see all stages of every plant you every had any time you wish, so there is no practical reason to keep them from growing.

If I remember correctly, event plants don't actually get deleted from the Wild Garden once they are in there. What happens is that on the date they stop, there just aren't any more put into there. But I can imagine that a seed might float around unnoticed and untaken until much later, when it gets its chance in the random number selection that you see every time you refresh and someone notices it and grabs it. Especially if players are looking for a particular seed and just refresh if they don't see it --or-- grab up the one they're looking for and don't even notice the wreath sitting there.

I play Final Outpost, Xanje, Magistream, FelisFire (alien cats), Sylestia (kind of an RPG + pets), Horse Eden Eventing. I have accounts on DragonCave, EggCave and Ovipets, but I can't handle my pets dying because I didn't get them enough clicks, etc, so I quit those. I've also played on Furry Paws (dog sport SIM), Wajas, WHILS, Alacrity, Grophland, IcePets, NeoPets (long ago when it was owned by the Brits), PowerPets, a few more dog/horse/cat sims, a few more RPGs, and a million others that are now extinct (I'm a grey-haired old lady who's been playing PBBG's since the 90's).

As far as games like this goes, there's a mobile one called Window Garden that's quite nice. And one called "Secret Cat Garden" that's been my obsession for years. That one is cute kitties you get to see if you build the proper furniture for each one. It's very Zen. No pressure to log in every day, no "exclusive" kitties, no leaderboards, just playing with cute cats that each have their own little GIF if they show up enough times. They do have microtransactions for you to get wood faster (to build furniture with) or to decorate your cottage/campsite/beach house with little touches (which come with some wood), but those are not necessary at all to enjoy the game.

Sorry I've been a bit inactive here lately. About the sprouts: if you have seeds that get more sun and water than your existing sprouts (or you don't pick slugs) they can overlap by a day or so, so you have then more sprouts than 4. But I don't think there's any way to KEEP them as sprouts. I mean, you can't remove them from your greenhouse and sun + water means they grow automatically even without clicks. You can't choose which plants get sun and water and which don't to make them not grow.

Someone asked if there were "Wild Garden Only" varieties. The answer there is NO. You can get some varieties only by breeding, but there are no varieties found in the wild garden that can't show up when you breed. You can breed two plants that are breed-only varieties together and get the original variety that was put in the wild garden for starters.

I've been saving pots for Valentine's, but I'll definitely be on the new variety after that.

Are you sure they gave you fireworks? Because the clover "seeds" look like green and white-striped rockets and the fireworks look like red sticks of dynamite, so the names can be confusing. I haven't tried breeding the lucky clovers yet, so would be interested to know if they truly do give fireworks.

As for varieties, we used to run a trade/giveaway thread after holidays to help people get the varieties we had extra that they might need. It works best if people post the ones they want to give and let others ask for them, otherwise people requesting might get multiple ones that others might like to have. Once you've made a connection, you just send them the "gift" link in a PM.

Sorry, I've been spending less time online recently and have just been watering plants and leaving. I've found this year that breeding Stars with Poinsettias gets you Poinsettias about 50% of the time. I hadn't remembered that, but I think that may be why I always bred trees x Poinsettias to get Stars in the past (or it's a change that stars are a breedable plant or I had it in my mind that stars weren't directly breedable to get stars cause I got Poinsettias from my attempts at breeding them). I have no stars that are from the WG, not even from past years (back to 2011). All mine are bred, so perhaps finding them in the WG was a change from the last Christmas I was here a few years ago.

As far as I remember, Christmas was always most of December because of the need to breed more than one generation of plants to get the Stars. My oldest Christmas tree is from Dec 27, 2011 because it was my first year, but the 2012 trees start from Dec 7 and there's one year in there where trees were shown being gotten from breeding in mid-to-late January (perhaps an error). The New Year's plants are very short-lived, though. More like Halloween for them, maybe even shorter.

Poinsettias are in the WG all year and can be bred to each other all year, so any time you have empty pots and no goal in mind, just raise poinsettias. Try to have at least 8 so you can breed continuously through the cooldowns (but you'll need more if you get flunks from star x poinsettia).

HOLY SMOKES! The lucky clovers are breedable now if you have some from past years. Of course, you must breed them to plain white clovers (add those to your plain plants you need to breed special ones list). I just now saw the "breed" link on them while checking for pickup dates (they are all Dec 30 and Dec 31, just FYI). I haven't seen any in the garden as wild seeds yet, though. They look like little green striped rockets with red cones.

Oh, yeah. You're right. I just saw "breed" on the stars page while refreshing my memory of several years ago and thought they were breedable with each other. I remember now that this was one of the frustrations of Christmas breeding: having enough poinsettias to breed all the trees and all the stars with to get more stars. Sorry. Everyone remember to collect poinsettias in the off season so you have enough to breed with.

You can breed trees with trees, though it says in the wiki they only breed to poinsettias, which was the impetus to post this that you can breed trees to each other. Perhaps the entry is misplaced and was meant to be for the stars instead of the trees.

The Christmas Trees and Wreaths will stick around in the WG for most of December and are both breedable like regular plants, but if memory serves Christmas Stars aren't found there. They must be bred for by Poinsettia x Christmas Tree unless you already have some from previous years to breed to each other. Poinsettias are around all year long--they are regular plants and are breedable with each other all year, but only during the season can you breed them with Christmas Trees to get Christmas Stars.

So if this is your first year, you have to grow Christmas Trees to breed to Poinsettias to get Christmas Stars, so it takes 8-10 days for your first crop of Stars to be grown and 4-5 more for any bred Stars to grow up. If you have Stars already, you can just breed them to each other, so it's much shorter.

The Lucky Clovers only last a couple days right about New Year's Eve. Plan for that. I think the Fireworks are around when the Lucky Clovers are, but they might persist a few days further into the New Year (I'm not sure). Snatch both of these when you see them. Plan to have empty pots, you'll only get one round.

Snagged two Christmas trees. Hope they're the two I'm missing. I'll breed a couple near the end if they're not.

The Christmas Trees and Wreaths will stick around in the WG for most of December and are both breedable like regular plants, but if memory serves Christmas Stars aren't found there. They must be bred for by Poinsettia x Christmas Tree unless you already have some from previous years to breed to each other. Poinsettias are around all year long--they are regular plants and are breedable with each other all year, but only during the season can you breed them with Christmas Trees to get Christmas Stars.

So if this is your first year, you have to grow Christmas Trees to breed to Poinsettias to get Christmas Stars, so it takes 8-10 days for your first crop of Stars to be grown and 4-5 more for any bred Stars to grow up. If you have Stars already, you can just breed them to each other, so it's much shorter.

The Lucky Clovers only last a couple days right about New Year's Eve. Plan for that. I think the Fireworks are around when the Lucky Clovers are, but they might persist a few days further into the New Year (I'm not sure). Snatch both of these when you see them. Plan to have empty pots, you'll only get one round.

Well, crud. My one from the Wild Garden that grew is one of the original variants. Again. The same one, actually.

I bred my two pairs (the seeds on the right end) but I'm leaving open pots for Christmas seeds to start dropping. Haven't seen any yet, but they usually start in early December. Don't want anyone to forget in the bluebell frenzy. :)

That's why I posted that mine were all Wild ones (as I had none that could be bred when I picked them up). All varieties of every plant can be the bred offspring of two others of that species, there are just some that can ONLY be bred for and not found at all in the Wild Garden. Until there are enough wild ones grown that we know there have been none of that variety found in the wild whether it is breed only or not is still unknown. Once you find one in the wild, though, we know which type it is :)