Posts by Arikel

Good morning! Our traveling Tulip has rest well and is full of energy now. She's a bit afraid of being trampled down by a bull, no matter of its coulour, but here she goes. Standing at the street, ready to hitch-hike:

Guten Morgen! Unsere Trampende Tulpe hat sich gut ausgeruht. Sie ängstigt sich etwas davor, von einem Stier niedergetrampelt zu werden, egal welcher Farbe, aber hier ist sie, am Wegesrand und wartet darauf, per Anhalter mitgenommen zu werden.

Atze, Du hast es irgendwie mit Freizeit-Park-Simulationen, kan das sein? Hab auf jeden Fall mal beim IT-Männchen meines Vertrauens nachgefragt, was eine böse Fee da falsch machen könnte, heraus kam dies:

"Es macht *pling* und du hast ein Freizeitparkspiel auf Deinem PC, dessen Interface keinerlei Animationen enthält. Leider hat es jedoch bei der
    Umsetzung einige Schwierigkeiten gegeben. Da aus Gründen der Wirtschaftlichkeit diese Spiele auf Basis von zugekauften Frameworks erstellt werden, die nicht ohne Animationen zu haben sind, haben die Programmierer es ohne Framework versucht. Leider war dies ihr erstes Mal, und das merkt man. Die Grafik ist pixeliger als auf einem C16 (Commodore 16), die Auflösung paßt nicht zu Deinem modernen Flachbildschirm - das Spiel wird in Briefmarkengröße dargestellt - und in Schwarz-Weiß - das mit der Farbe war dann doch zu viel. Aber es funktioniert! ...denkst du. Denn nachdem Du zum dritten Mal gespeichert hast, stellst Du fest, daß jeder Spielstand gleich ist und so viel Platz auf der Platte einnimmt, daß Dein Windows-Rechner keine Auslagerungsdatei mehr erstellen kann. Die bräuchte er jedoch, da das Spiel theoretisch 24 GB Arbeitsspeicher bräuchte - nach fünf Minuten. Das mit den Memory-Leaks ist halt so eine Sache ..."

*Bling* You have a recreational park game on your PC whose interface does not contain any animations. However, unfortunately some difficulties occured with that conversion. Since for reasons of economy these games are provided by additionally bought frameworks which are not to be had without animations, so the programmers tried to do it without framework. Further, this was their first time, and one notices. The graphics look even worse than at a C16 (Commodore 16), the dissolution fits not your modern flat screen - the play is represented in stamp size - and in black-and-white - with the color was then nevertheless too much. But it works! … you wish. After you saved for the third time, you note that each save data is the same and takes so much space on the hard drive that your Windows-run computer cannot provide any more swap files. However, the play theoretically needs 24 GB RAM after only five minutes ...

Ich wünsche mir etwas gesunden Menschenverstand für unsere Politiker/-innen.

I wish for more insight for our top-ranking politicans.

You shall get it. You're having a lot of fun but since "snow in winter" and "Germany" does not match every year, you want to enjoy the whole fun. And you're a bit out of training. So, the sleigh trip ends for your in the ER - with a broken bone. ;(

Du sollst es bekommen. Du hast auch eine Menge Spaß, aber da "Schnee zur Winterszeit" und "Deutschland" nicht unbedingt jedes Jahr ein Traumpaar sind, willst Du unbedingt alles auskosten. Außerdem bist Du ein wenig außer Übung gekommen, so daß für Dich der Ausflug in der Notaufnahme mit einem gebrochenen Knochen endet.

(Und das ist mir tatsächlich vor ziemlich genau 20 Jahren passiert - Sonntagabend, letzter Tag der Winter(!)ferien, ein klitzekleinesbißchen Schnee in Mecklenburg, und ein Rudel Kinder. Wir nannten unsere Abfahrt auch noch "die Knochenbrechenbahn", aber lustigerweise hab ich mir meinen Kiefer erst auf dem Heimweg gebrochen.)

I wish for Nectar and Ambrosia. Ich wünsche mir Nektar und Ambrosia.

Bling! Immediately, all loving people become catholic, married zombies now. They will never die, and they will break up.
    Bling! Alle Verliebten werden werden auf der Stelle zu katholischen, verheiraten Zombies, die nie sterben und sich nie scheiden lassen werden.

I wish that the translating-thingie that is called Babel Fish actually would work properly enough to use it.
    Ich wünsche mir, daß die Übersetzungsmaschine Babelfisch gut genug zu einer praxiszauglichen Anwendung wird.

Here ya go.However, a helicopter landing pad for just a single person is a waste, hence, the hospital in your neighbour is allowed to use it, too, whenever it is neccessary - or just wanted.It's busy like a bee hive there, but more noisy due to all these sirens. Bummer, all you wanted was to be able to see your piece of jewellery from your bedroom, too…
    Kommt sofort. Da aber ein Hubschrauberlandeplatz für nur eine einzelne Privatperson doch schon irgendwie Verschwendung ist, wird der nächsten Klinik lebenslanges Nutznießrecht eingeräumt. Es geht also zu wie in einem Bienenstock, nur mit ganz viel Martinshorn. Schade, dabei wolltest Du Dein Schmuckstück doch nur auch von Deinem Schlafzimmer aus sehen können...

I wish that 3 of my most favourite musicans will co-operate to compose and perform a song.
    Ich wünsche mir, daß drei meiner Lieblingsmusiker zusammen ein Lied schreiben und aufführen.

You friendly room mates leave the living community - but now you have to pay all rents on your own. Santiago moves in - wearing a leisure sweat and having a sixpack beer in his left hand, smoking and rude like if he was from Berlin.
    Dein freundlicher Mitbewohner zieht aus - ab heute mußt Du Miete und alle Rechnungen selbst zahlen. Außerdem zieht Santiago ein - in Jogginghose, Feinripp-Unterhemd, rauchend, 3-Tage-Bart, ein "Herrenhandtäschen" (Sixpack Bier) in seiner linken Hand und den Charme eines gebürtigen Norddeutschen.

I wish for an inspiration how to wish something that won't hurt anyone.
    Ich wünsche mir, daß mir ein harmloser WUnsch einfällt, der niemandem ernsthaften Schaden zufügt.

Flowers are so beautiful, and so is music. Which songs (or generally: music) do you have in mind which is about flowers (or even plants, if you want)?

Blumen sind schön, Musik auch. Welche Lieder über Blumen (bzw. Pflanzen allgemein) fallen Euch ein?

I'll start with that / Ich fange hiermit an

Léo Delibes - "Lakmé" - The Flower Duet / Das Blumenduett

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qx2lMaMsl8

I still have at least another 4 songs in mind, but i'll save them until later. / Ich hab noch einige im Hinterkopf, aber die hebe ich mir für später auf. :D

Don't worry, even if you have got already three seeds, you can do that quest and will recieve the reward. After that, they'll be count, so you'll have to raise them before you are able to get new ones.

Keine Sorge, falls Du schon 3 Samen hast, Du kannst dieses Abenteuer bestehen und wirst trotzdem die Belohnung erhalten. Danach zählt es allerdings.

To be honest, i think it's kinda impossible to explain german grammar in a forum thread, unless one of us is a studied teacher or even professor. Another problem is that "mastering" a language does not come by only growing up in a certain country. Most of people cannot tell if a "das" or "dass" is needed in written language, a lot of people (i assume, like at least 50%) cannot use "[ihr] seid" ([you] are) and "seit" (since) properly in written language, and it scares me how many people use "denn" (because) instead of "dann" ("after that", "then") when they are just telling what happened. I also experienced that a lot of people in the central regions in Germany - specially Hessen, whyever - cannot compare - at least, their grammar for that is not correct. (Example: "Peter is as big as Paul, but he is bigger than Mary." - Some would say "Peter is so groß wie Paul aber größer wie Maria". Correct it is: "Peter ist so groß wie Paul aber größer als Maria.")

I have to confess, that all this Subjekt-Prädikat-Objekt-thingie has been a torture at school for me. I am afraid, i never really understood german that way, or at least not directly, maybe, i don't know. Aztekior gave some valueable hints, though, try to keep them in mind. But maybe i can help you a bit, too, i will try.

When i was in school, there was a little (but useful) trick: Whatever describes the time has to be at the beginning or the end of a sentence. How to remind that? "Time" in german is "Zeit". "Zeit" starts with a "z", which is last in alphabet. (And with some physical knowledge, you may discuss that time was the first that had to exist before anything else could do, Big Bang, Hawking, ... you've got the picture).

You are allowed to for forget that rule if you try to create a beutiful german sentence. Time - where you place its adverbs in a german sentence - does not matter. There's another rule which is more important: "Die gebeugte Verbform steht in einem Hauptsatz an erster oder zweiter Stelle. In einem Nebensatz ist sie an letzter Stelle."

The so-called "gebeugte Verbform" (i am not sure if it's correctly translated - "finite verb form"?) has to be at first or second place in a "major sentence" (?), it is last in a "minor sentence".

Why do i think that this is helpful? It helps you to put commata at the right place, because minor sentences have to be divided by commata. That may help you to gain some structure.

Some examples to explain:

"Während Hendrik fernsah, schrieb Luise einen Brief." (While Hendrik was watching TV, Luise wrote a letter.) The main clause/ main sentence is the part of writing. You can spot the "gebeugte Verbform" by changing either "persons" or the tense or changing the composition: Luise schrieb einen Brief, während Hendrik fernsah. Während ihr fernseht, schreiben wir einen Brief. Note, that the forms of "schreiben" is stil kind of 2nd place in these "normal" sentences, if you see the minor sentence about watching TV as taking only one place. If you only switch these both part of the sentence but do no change the single words within the minor sentences, you will get either questions or instructions. (To Luise) Schreib einen Brief, während Hendrik fernsieht! Schreiben wir einen Brief, während ihr fernseht? Please note, that if you have composed time forms like Perfekt, Plusquamperfekt or Futur II, the verb "haben" resp. "sein" will be the one that changes. Während er ferngesehen hat, hat sie einen Brief geschrieben. Während du fernsehen wirst, werde ich einen Brief schreiben.

You've got that? Great. Now some practise for advanced. Tell me if these sentences are correct and what the "gebeugte Verbform" is: Sie waren dort. Abends standen Elfen unter der Eiche. Unter der Eiche hatte sich abends eine große Anzahl Elfen versammelt. Die weisesten, stärksten und geschicktesten Elfen wollten sich beraten und kamen noch vor Sonnenuntergang zur alten Eiche, die den Mittelpunkt der Siedlung bildete, um zu erörtern, wie sie den kürzlich eingegangenen Pakt mit den Menschen am besten würdigen könnten. 

In my opinion, the best way you could learn a language is the training itself. Of corse, you need words and you need to know some things about grammar. But as soon as you have basics, try to use them. Read books. Hear music and try to understand the songs. Watch TV shows or films, if you dare, you also could install some games in another language. And do not underestimate the real language of real people. Like: If you cannot afford visiting a country (and even if you could - don't expect you could understand Bavarians, even a lot of Germans do not), don't be shy and try to practise at forums like these or to look out for a penpal. It's called implicit learning. So, as long as you are not sure about structures, go with the principle of K.I.S.S.: "Keep it short & simple." It avoids mistakes.

==============================================================================

If anyone really needs a translation, please tell me. Or maybe i'll add later. // Falls jemand ernsthaft 'ne Übersetzung will, sagt mir bescheid. Oder vielleicht mach ich's auch freiwillig... später...

Aunt €dith found a typo and kept it.

My heritage is the northern east of Germany, but i was glad when i could move away. Now i'm living in a town between Kassel and Frankfurt (Main). Besides German, i learned in school english (from 3rd grade until 11th), French (7th grade until 11th) and Spanish (11th until 13th). I really disliked English at school, and Bruce Dickinson, Steve Harris, James Hetfield and a penpal from Chicago prolly taught me more English than any of my teachers each in a year. But after school, i kept on training by reading english novels and stuff for university, by some games and by trying to watch DVDs in english (but english subtitled,too), and still by music - i'm very interested in the lyrics of my favourite songs.

I've gotta admit, i that i do poor if i have to understand spoken language. That problem occurs even in German (if peoople dont pronounce exactly, speak too fast, having an awful slang or if i'm too tired or multiple of these options), but of corse, it's worst in French and Spanish. Also, i already forgot most of french and spanish, although i really like French and i'd love to visit France. Oh, and i've got the "black thumb", so, although my mom and my (future) mother-in-law are talented women of the garden, the only thing my plants will do is dying. :(

Ich bin ein gebürtiges Nordlicht, aber habe nie bereut, nach Hessen gezogen zu sein. Abgesehen von Deutsch spreche ich auch noch Englisch (9 Jahre), Fanrzösisch (5 Jahre) und Spanisch (3 Jahre). In der Schule war Englisch nicht gerade mein Lieblingsfach, und eine CD von Iron Maiden oder Metallica haben mir wahrscheinlich mehr beigebracht als meine jeweiligen Lehrer in einem gesamten Schuljahr. Trotzdem habe ich nach dem Abi weitergeübt durch Romane und Fachliteratur, einige Spiele und DVDs als "OmU"s (Original mit [englischen] Untertiteln), und immer noch Musik.

Ich muß aber zugegeben, daß mir das Verstehen gesprochener Sprache manchmal Probleme bereitet. Manchmal selbst auf Deutsch (an dieser Stelle Grüße an die alpinen Fraktionen), aber am schlimmsten sind Französisch und Spanisch. Außerdem hab ich das meiste ohnehin schon wieder vergessen, obwohl ich eigentlich Französisch mag (ja, die Sprache!) und sehr gern mal nach Frankreich reisen würde. Und ich hab den "Schwarzen Daumen", auch wenn sowohl meine Mutter als auch meine Schwiegermama in spe begnadete Gärtnerinnen sind.

If anyone is interested in a decent but free translation for single words, try out Leo: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lang=de&lp=ende

Falls jemand kein anständiges Wörterbuch hat (oder wie ich zu faul ist, jedes Mal zum Bücherschrank zu rennen statt einen neuen Tab zu öffnen), dem hilft vielleicht der Link weiter.